is my router bricked? can i bring it back? suggestion for new one?

I was trying to set up an FTP server on one of the computers on my network. I tried port forwarding, but couldn't connect with my FTP client so I tried upgrading the firmware of my router. It is a D-Link DI-624M.

formatting link
The 2.50 firmware would not allow me to set the SSID for my wireless network. I clicked the javascript "apply" button on the wireless page of my router's configuration and nothing happened. So I went back to

1.20 firmware. Then I could not access the configuration at all but the Internet worked.

So I called tech support and they had me flash the firmware a few times and came to the conclusion that it was broken. It's out of warranty but they said try RMA and see if they accept it, so I did.

Later that night it started working again, only without WLAN. I called back to see if we could get the wireless side of it working, and the WLAN light on the router has been off since then. Last time I tried to reset the router the Internet stopped working again and will not come back.

So right now nothing is working. I may be able to ping the router, but that's about it. I can't test the ping now though because my computer is connected directly to my cable modem right now.

The router's troubleshooting process is kinda weird. Sometimes I have to unplug it for a certain amount of time. Sometimes I press the reset button on the back for 10-15 seconds. Sometimes they said press and hold it for 20-30 seconds. Sometimes they had me hold the button, unplug the power, plug it back in, continue holding the button for 10 seconds. There is no way for me to know what the router is actually doing when I do this stuff so I don't know how to fix the thing.

I figure someone here is likely more able to help me than D-Link's tech support. They want me to go back to the original 1.01 firmware, which I don't have and is not on their site. They want me to order a CD for it. Either way, I can't access the router right now anyway so I can't flash the firmware unless I can reset the router in a way that it will ask for a new firmware when I try to connect with a browser.

Is there anything I can do to make it work again?

If not, I guess I'll be purchasing a new one. I have read that the third party DD-WRT firmware for the Linksys WRT54GL is good for people who download with torrents and peer-to-peer software. Apparently this firmware can be used with some other routers as well? This may be useful. I know that type of transfer is usually very slow for me.

Here are a few routers that I have noted because of professional and user reviews as well as popularity on Newegg.com:

LINKSYS WRT54GL LINKSYS WRT54GX2 LINKSYS WRT54GX4 BUFFALO WHR-G54S BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 NETGEAR WPN824

Here is also a site that gives some suggestions:

formatting link
the info on this site accurate and generally agreeable with your opinions?

Apparently Netgear has a 1-year warranty (like D-Link... I've had mine a year and a half). Linksys offers 3-year, Buffalo is 2-year, and Belkin is lifetime.

Newegg customer reviews show some problems with the Linksys GX routers and their firmware. I just glanced over this, so I don't really know if it is a real issue. Linksys WRT54GL and Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 both seem like very good options to me.

What is everyone's opinion on this? I want a good router, but obviously don't want to spend more than I have to. Let me know what you think. Thanks for your input.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
adsmith82
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.