Is my PC wireless ready?

I'm new to computers and want to get wireless broadband, how can i tell if my PC is wireless ready?

Reply to
andy.williams1971
Loading thread data ...

does the spec say Internet ready or if a lappy Centrino.

what is the spec.

if its a prebuild, point us to the web spec.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com hath wroth:

XXXX-ready usually means that it's not ready and that something is missing. Does it say "wireless ready" on it somewhere?

The manufacturer of your PC will have a list of features that are included with the PC. Look for a feature that says something like "Centrino", "802.11g", or "wi-fi". Some laptops are listed as "wireless ready" which means there's a MiniPCI socket inside waiting for you to install a wireless card. In the case of a desktop, it will require adding a PCI card or an external USB device. If your computer has an antenna sticking out of the back, it's highly likely to be the PCI card. If your PC has a USB dongle hanging out somewhere that says "wireless" or "wi-fi" all over it, then there is your wireless device.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.