Is my 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72 dead?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to me with 3Com office connect wireless routers.

The other morning I tried to connect to my router but nothing worked, I connected over ethernet and entered the admin ip address http://192.168.1.1/however rather than taking me to the admin page it took me to the "Recovering Tool" where it says

"This tool allows you to upgrade the gateway's system firmware using a file provided by the vendor.

Enter the path and name of the upgrade file then click the APPLY button below. You will be prompted to confirm the upgrade."

There is a drop down menu to allow you to upgrade the target with either the runtime code or bootloader.

I tried updating the runtime firmware with the latest version from

3Com's website but it still returns to this "Recovering Tool". In the past I have successfully updated the firmware from the admin page. but I have never seen this "Recovering Tool" before.

I tried a hard reset using the push switch on the back of the router but it still returns to this "Recovering Tool".

I suspect my router has got into a very confused state, maybe the bootloader is corrupt? However I can not find any binaries on the 3Com website to update the bootloader.

3Com technical support say they charge $70 just to speak to me, so unless anyone has any other ideas sounds like its time to splash out on a replacement, currently looking at 3CRWDR101A-75-UK

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
andrew.ford76
Loading thread data ...

Do you get a bootloader "button"? If you do press it and wait until it has finished, then reboot your router. Then press your runtime code "button" and wait until it has finished, then do a factory re-set of the router. If you can now access the routers GUI download and install the latest firmware for the router. NB:- I haven't tried this on this version of router but it has worked on older versions and I just kept a note of what to try.

Reply to
LR

Hello, thanks for the response. There is no bootloader button in the GUI, or on the hardware. In the GUI the only options I have are to upgrade the "target runtime" or "bootloader" code by supplying a binary file, or to reboot the router. Neither of which seem to have any effect. It's a shame I can't post a screenshot of the GUI.

Reply to
andrew.ford76

Normally when this hasn't worked the router has been returned to 3com. I gather that using the "target runtime" option with the bin file from the zipped .exe upgrade file does nothing either so you will probably have to return it to 3Com. zipped .exe

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.