Is it possible to use Wifi to hack a router?

Hi, I met something strange in my system. The condition is like that: I have a wireless router(DLink). I didn't set any security password for the Wifi because I worried about the speed. But I disabled the DHCP,so every machine has to set its IP and gateway same with the router. In my family, I have about 4 computers, that's not a big deal to me. Yesterday suddenly I found my router's Wifi was locked! It's so strange. Even somebody guessed my network IP range(192.168.0.x), how did he know the router's manage page's user name and password? Although that page is not https page, but if he wanted to hijack the package between my client and the router, he had to first begin a ARP attack and mask himself to a router(maybe he just acted as a package dispatcher to router). I even cannot imagine that would happen because this is a tough job. First he had to guess the IP range, then he had to write an ARP attack program and mask program. Even I am a senior software engineer, it will take me a couple of days and sometime we may stop before the first step-guessing IP range. Or there is someone use the Wifi security back door? I only know something about that news, but I don't know exactly about it. I'm using Linux OS, it seemed that the hole hides in the network? In fact, now I care technology more than the hack event itself. Can someone explain it to me? I graduated from a famous Chinese university's EE major. So don't hesitate to explain it in technology way. Now what I can understand is that: 1. The hacker guessed out the IP range because it's so normal and connected to the router using WIFI. 2. The hacker detect my laptop's IP and block the communication with the router. 3. When there's any communication between server and router will find it cannot communicate with the mac(because it's blocked). It will send a broadcast, the hacker's machine will acknowledge the request. 4. The the hacker's machine may act as a package dispatcher that can listen all packages between my laptop and the router.

Am I right?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
PP
Loading thread data ...

Hi, What is package dispatcher?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's not as complex as you make it.

1) If a person used a program like NetStumbler - they could see your router (including make and model)

2) IP addresses for routers by brand are very well known ... so even though you disabled DHCP - they could still set themselves as a static IP and get on your network.

3) Assuming you changed the admin page password .. they could a program to crack your admin page, use AirSnort to sniff it, sniff it once they are on your network, or even simply guess it.

Remember - a router is a multi device appliance ... router / nat ... ethernet switch ... wireless access point ... security admin .... so - each component needs be thought of separately.

Reply to
riggor

There is likely minimal impact on speed. What speed are you concerned with? My 802.11b link is faster than most internet connections.

Disabling DHCP does almost nothing for security.

Your wifi may have failed. What makes you think it was hacked?

192.168.0.x is the default subnet for many routers. It might even have been set already in someone's laptop from a previous dhcp, so when the PC tried to renew it's address, it succeeded.

What indicates that anyone logged in to the router?

What security back door? You had no security.

Reply to
dold

Bad idea. Its highly unlikely you will see any degradation due to this,. unless you happen to be on 25Mb cable internet or better.

No security advantage at all.

The default IP ranges of routers are a) well known and published on the web (eg in manufacturers manuals); and b) determinable by listening to router traffic.

did you change it from the default?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.