Is it possible to get >150mbps with 11n on 2.4Ghz and 20Mhz?

Hi,

Although I posted a little awhile ago, asking whether or not to wait to get some 11n equipment, I've been curious, and one of my laptops already has an 802.11n adapter (an Intel 4965agn), and I was an 11n router on sale (a Buffalo WHR-G300N), so I figured that I'd "dip my toes" into the

11n waters.

The Buffalo router arrived this week, and I've been testing with my laptop.

At first, I was only able to get 54mbps, but after some tweaking of the router and the adapter settings, I was able to get between 130mbps and

144mbps.

I've been doing research on this, and found that:

- The Buffalo router is a 2.4Ghz router only (but able to use either

20Mhz or 40Mhz channels).

- The 4965agn chipset is apparently designed to specifically not use

40Mhz channels on 2.4Ghz.

So, at least with the 4965agn, I'm limited to 2.4Ghz and 20Mhz channels.

From searching and testing, it appears that I can't get >~130 -

150mbps, but I have not been able to find any technical information that says that at 2.4Ghz and 20Mhz channels, the maximum connection speed is limited to 150mbps.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
ohaya
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I'm continuing to research the questions above, and I just found this for the Linksys WRT400:

formatting link
Note under "Receive Sensitivity", it shows:

2.4GHz 11Mbps: -86dBm @ Typical 54Mbps: -71dBm @ Typical 130Mbps (20MHz): -70dBm@ Typical 270Mbps (40MHz): -66dBm@ Typical 5GHz 54Mbps: -67dBm @ Typical 130Mbps (20MHz): -68dBm@ Typical 270Mbps (40MHz): -62dBm@ Typical

that *seems* to imply 130mbps connections with 2.4GHz/20Mhz, and >130mbps (i.e., 270mbps) connections only with 2.4Ghz/40Mhz and

5Ghz/40Mhz.

There's no explanation of why no >130mbps with 2.4Ghz/20Mhz though :(...

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

The max data rate is dependent on a number of factors including channel width, suggest you do a search for 802.11n MCS rates. Only 0->7 were mandatory in the "n" draft.

You have already said " The 4965agn chipset is apparently designed to specifically not use 40Mhz channels on 2.4Ghz." It does state on the Intel site:- Friendly Neighbor Assurance Supports current Draft-N standard direction to support 40MHz channels only in 5GHz spectrum to minimize negative impact to legacy devices/networks nearby.

Simple "n" primer

Designed for speed

Reply to
LR

I'm curious. How do you get 130Mbps out of an AP with only 100Mbps ethernet? Are you using some sort of link aggregation [like LACP]?

Reply to
alexd

He is probably referring to his wireless utilities reported link speed rather than actual data throughput. Given that his Intel adapter is restricted to 20MHz channels in the 2.4GHz band he is unlikely to get more than 80Mbps data throughput so there shouldn't be any problem with having only 100 Mbps Ethernet.

Reply to
LR

Hi,

Sorry, but I probably wasn't being clear. The numbers I mentioned weren't for throughput. Those numbers were just what Windows (7) was showing for the connection speed. I haven't done any throughput type testing yet (e.g., with iperf). Since this is the 1st time I'm working with any 11n equipment, I'm just trying to get the connection "speed" numbers first.

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

LR,

Yes, you're correct. That was what I meant...

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.