Is it possible to add security to an existing wireless bridge?

I have been using a pair of WAP11s to bridge a network between 2 buildings for about 5 years. It gives 3-4Mb/s over a distance of about a mile. It's not line of sight as there are some trees blocking the view. On each side there is a 19dB directional antenna on the roof of the building and 50' of LMR400 cable connecting to a Teletronics SmartAmp. There are about 10 packets lost for every million sent. All this is more than adequate for my needs, works reliably and I'm reluctant to change it.

The WAP11 2.2s support 256bit WEP and I change the passwords each week with randomly generated ones. It seemed secure when I installed it, but now I am not so confident.

Is there a product that I could put on each side of the bridge to secure the traffic through the WAP11s?

I'd rather not to use PCs on each side and prefer a hardware solution.

Thanks

Paul.

Reply to
Anonymous
Loading thread data ...

Sure, just don't ask the price. The governmint uses ethernet encryption boxes. For example:

formatting link
for "ethenet encryption" or "layer 2 encryption".

There are also a number of ethernet cards that offer on board encryption. Both Intel and 3com make them. I've used the 3CR990-TX cards for this. Search for "secure NIC".

More practically, just replace the WAP11's with something more modern. The problem is that many point to point wireless bridges will not do WPA. Check the specs before you plunge. For example, the obvious replacement is a WAP54G, which does NOT do WPA in bridge mode.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.