Is it a Access Point issue?

Hi! I've got two notebooks connected to an AP which is connected to a wired network which is connected to the internet. The thing is that both notebooks work great together when they are browsing the internet or using some Windows Share FROM THE WIRED LAN. BUT! When either of them (the notebooks) tries to use a share from the other, the Wireless network Goes Down and both have to reconnect to the network. Both can "download" files from the wired segment simultaneously with no trouble. So it only happens when Computers within the Wireless Segment share between them. it's like the Air gets overloaded!.

any Help?

Reply to
ifmusic
Loading thread data ...

i know in the subject it's AN Access point ....

Reply to
ifmusic

On 16 Mar 2007 20:44:09 -0700, "ifmusic" wrote in :

What does "goes down" mean? Your _exact_ symptoms please.

Reply to
John Navas

Access point or in a wired network when you physically unplug the cable. You know the little icon in the taskbar with that ugly Red cross.

Thanks for your interest. Rodrigo.

Reply to
ifmusic

On 16 Mar 2007 21:25:42 -0700, "ifmusic" wrote in :

Access point or

On both notebooks at the same time? Did the access point crash? Is there an error message in the access point log? Does the access point have the latest firmware? What are the makes and models of all the wireless hardware?

Reply to
John Navas

yes,both. It doesn't look like it, but I guess The thing with the AP is that it's not linksys or some known brand, i cant even find their website! And it does not Keep logs. Very sad.

the Access point or

Reply to
ifmusic

Ok. I've identified the AP using nmap and ethereal MAC address discovery it turns out it's a "Edimax". The AP i bought has the Same user manual and an almost identical UI for the Web Interfase. So i looked up a 54gbits Wireless AP and luckly there was only one with new firmwares. So i downloaded the zip file which contained a .Bin file. I went to the web interfase, i selected the bin file and "OK" to the "are you sure?" questions. It said that it may be "off" for a couple of seconds, so i waited. The AP kept working, i still had perfect connectivity, as if nothing happened but when i tried to get into my Web based config It DIDNT WORK!. I know that the AP is still in the IP i assigned to it (192.168.0.150) bacause nmap still recognizes the IP and it says that the MAC belongs to a Edimax AP, but it also says that there are no Ports open, then NO http service available!.

So, even if i still have the prior problem Now i'm afraid that if i restart the AP (with the little button i have to press for 5 secs) i wont be able to configure it again, which means that i have to throw it away!

Reply to
ifmusic

On 17 Mar 2007 07:14:14 -0700, "ifmusic" wrote in :

You may well have "bricked" it. As you've now learned, it's dangerous to load firmware unless you're certain it's the correct firmware.

Edimax is cloned by a number of different brands (e.g., Hawking, Planet), so you can't just assume that whatever Edimax firmware you find will work.

You can start here for help, but I'd personally chalk it up as a learning experience, and get a better wireless router (e.g., Buffalo WHR-HP-G54).

Reply to
John Navas

Try a "hard reset" by holding the reset button in for a full 30 seconds. That has recovered *some* "bricked" Linksys units.

Reply to
DTC

"ifmusic" hath wroth:

You just installed some random firmware image? Not a good idea, especially if you don't know what you're working with. Since you also didn't bother to disclose any detail on your router, there's not much we can do to help from here. Edimax resells several wireless routers.

If the web config interface isn't there after you power cycle and reset the router, the built in DHCP server will probably assign an IP address to your laptop. You can then use IPCONFIG to determine the gateway IP address, which is your router. If you can't get past the password, see the defaults at:

Also, spend some time identifying what you have.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi!

Did you find your *specific* access point when you went looking for firmware? It is possible that you have an access point that be updated but no updated software exists.

When you found the firmware, did you check the documentation included with it to see if it a) was for your access point and b) might resolve the issue you are experiencing?

When you did the actual firmware flash, did you do it over a wired or wireless connection? (Never *ever* update router/AP firmware over a wireless connection. Yes, it can be an easy mistake to make. Fortunately, the one time I slipped up, the router ignored my actions.)

At this point you are probably looking at a router that has had its operating programs corrupted or removed entirely. I'd start with hoping that a hard reset (usually triggered by holding down the reset button) would clear things up enough to restore normal operation. If that doesn't solve the problem, you've got a "bricked" router/AP on your hands.

Unbricking your router and downloading valid firmware to it could be anywhere from easy to impossible. Some routers will enter a mode during power-up that lets you download new firmware using TFTP. Others have a so-called JTAG connector onboard that can be populated and used to download new firmware. There are other approaches as well, but before any of them will work, you must have valid firmware to give the unit. If you can't get ahold of a valid firmware file, you will have to somehow get the firmware from a working unit that is the same as yours.

I don't want to sound harsh, but it sounds like you went into this without fully understanding the consequences of what you were doing and now things are much worse than they were before. Never, ever download firmware into any device if you aren't sure it is the right firmware or don't have a good reason to believe that the new firmware will solve your problem!

Should you get your router going again, there are other things to try in solving your problem. Check to be sure that you're on a clear channel and look for defective equipment in your network. Perhaps your router or computers aren't very good at handling large data transfers over wireless? For data transfers from wireless-equipped computer to wireless-equipped computer, the router/AP won't be doing much. Data transfer between a wireless and wired computer can require buffering of some kind in the router.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:58:24 GMT, DTC wrote in :

It's not a Linksys.

Reply to
John Navas

You may have misunderstood me. I was suggesting a "hard reset" that might work for his brand of router as it can also work for the Linksys brands.

Reply to
DTC

I do understand that i messed things up. I don't know why i did it. It's true not only i did not know the model but I had no reasons to believe that the upgrade would solve my transfer issues. I don't know i guess i wasn't thinking quite clearly. But All your inputs were useful and even if i cant solve this i did learn. I'm still using the AP, haven't restarted it, i'm afraid after it, it could get unusable forever.

Anyway. Thank you guys for the support!

Rodrigo.

Reply to
ifmusic

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.