is 54mbps

is 54mbps good,seems to be ok,dsl wireless notebook,is this considered a good speed,ty tim

Reply to
john smith
Loading thread data ...

54Mbits/sec is the connection speed of the wireless. Under ideal conditions, you'll get about half that in thruput (i.e. copying files between your computers). However, your download and upload speed will probably not be limited by your wireless connection speed. It will be the speed of the DSL that sets your download and upload speed. Typcially, the DSL is anywhere between 0.5Mbits/sec and 6Mbits/sec depending on how much you pay the ISP. As long as your wireless connection speed is at least twice your DSL speed, you're doing fine.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oops. That isn't very clear.

If you have one wireless computer and one wired computer connected to an access point or wireless router, and the wired computer can do

100Mbits/sec full duplex (which is faster than any wireless connection), then your thruput for copying files between computers with a 54Mbit/sec wireless connection will be about 20-25Mbits/sec maximum.

However, if you have *TWO* wireless computers, your thruput for copying files between them will be half of that again or about

9-11Mbits/sec. That's because there are 3 transmitters in the system (two laptops and one access point) only one of which may transmit at a time, thus cutting the bandwidth again in half.

This has nothing to do with the brodband thruput or the original question, but since I messed it up in my explanation, I thought it would help to clarify things.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.