IPconfig/all yields no wireless entry . . .

I'm using XP SP2 (an "upgrade" from my former SP1. A few month ago, I got a wireless G+ MIMO card by Trendware. After installing it, ipconfig/all refused to show it as a connection. It showed my LAN connections just fine, just no wireless. I checked the hardware device manager and, much to my surprise, the card showed it was working properly and correctly installed. Similarly, it showed up just fine in the network connections. However, since there was no ipconfig profile, there was also no IP address.

I chalked all this up to a fualty card and kicked myself for not going with a more 'reputable' brand.

Fast forward to now. I borrowed my friend's perfectly good Belken Wireless G card (7000 v5xxx)that works terrifically in his XP SP2 box. Much to my surprise, I got the same results as I did with my trendware card . . . no IP address, and no data from ipconfig. No amounts of refresh and renew would change the status.

Has anybody encountered this problem before? Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Reply to
spyguy0045
Loading thread data ...

Did you try "repair"? That will unconfigure and reconfigure the IP.

Reply to
dold

Yes, I tried . . . yields no results. It'll say "Failed to connect: could not connect to wireless network." (real helpful explanation there, M$) WinXP will find my router, and when I click connect, it'll go through the process then show "connected" . . . but then, click on status and it'll show blank entries for IP addy, Default Gateway, etc. also, it shows packets sent, but none received. The router (which doubles as my DHCP server) shows no client for the wireless card. I tried settin' all the settings for the card manually from the network connection properties box. (i.e. use Gateway: 192.168.xxx.xxx, IP: 192.168.xxx.xxx, DNS servers, etc), but still nothing. With wireless only there is no response "Destination Host unreachable"

Anyway, I've tried most 'ordinary' solutions I could think of (old/new drivers, repair [which is a glorified refresh/renew/flushdns all in one], refresh/renew, auto/manual settings, encryption/no encryption, I'm not running a software firewall and windows firewall is off, no running anti-virus programs (I've hear that can cause problems), using windows wireless or using the client that came with the card, TCP/IP filtering off/on (permit all) . . . I think that's everything I've tried so far.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Reply to
spyguy0045

Check to see if you have MAC Address filtering enabled on the wireless router. It can cause Windows to say it is connected and not do anything.

Ian

Ian

Reply to
Ian

On 17 Feb 2007 23:15:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: : I'm using XP SP2 (an "upgrade" from my former SP1. : A few month ago, I got a wireless G+ MIMO card by Trendware. After : installing it, ipconfig/all refused to show it as a connection. It : showed my LAN connections just fine, just no wireless. I checked the : hardware device manager and, much to my surprise, the card showed it : was working properly and correctly installed. Similarly, it showed up : just fine in the network connections. However, since there was no : ipconfig profile, there was also no IP address. : : I chalked all this up to a fualty card and kicked myself for not going : with a more 'reputable' brand. : : Fast forward to now. I borrowed my friend's perfectly good Belken : Wireless G card (7000 v5xxx)that works terrifically in his XP SP2 box. : Much to my surprise, I got the same results as I did with my trendware : card . . . no IP address, and no data from ipconfig. No amounts of : refresh and renew would change the status. : : Has anybody encountered this problem before? Any ideas on what could : be wrong?

Either you're making the same configuration error with both cards, or the problem is in your wireless access point or its configuration. Have you tried your Trendware card with a different access point that you're sure works?

Your failure to obtain an IP address is a red herring. Since your DHCP server is evidently in or beyond the access point, you won't get an IP if you can't make a connection.

Be sure to turn off MIMO for your tests. Add-on capabilities like MIMO are unlikely to work if the card and the access point are from different manufacturers.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

I had MAC address filtering on for my trial run with the Belkin card. I've tried it both off and on for the trendware card. I'm actually not sure how to get to the setting for MIMO . . . but the Belkin card didn't have it, and it had the same problem. I'm led to believe it's not a problem with the router, as the Belkin card works fine now in a different computer accessing the same router. I still have no idea, nor have I seen any (in searching the internet) for why the computer refuses to show the wireless connection under the ipconfig /all command. I was beginning to wonder if it was an issue with my motherboard . . .(It's an Asus P5WDG2-WS Pro for all those interested). Thanks for the responses.

Reply to
spyguy0045

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.