IP issue

I have just bought a Netgear WG614 router with a Netgear WG511. My OS is WinXP Home SP2.

I am having problems connecting. Sometimes I connect and it can be online for hours. Other times it keeps cutting out and the only way I can get back on is to unplug the router for a minute and put it back on. I get various error messages including: Limited resources...the network did not assign a network address... Could not renew IP address

Sometimes it logs on but there is no traffic at all, sometimes I cannot even log on even though I can see the network when I go to View Available Wireless Networks

Sorry if I am not including enough details but I am new to this and have tried to read through the manual and troubleshoot but have found it very confusing.

My router settings are... Internet IP Address: get dynamically from ISP DNS Address: get automaticaly from ISP Router MAC Address: use default address

I use NTL cable broadband.

Reply to
FJDx
Loading thread data ...

Those error messages mean that you did not get a DHCP assigned IP address from the router. If you run: Start -> Run -> cmd ipconfig when this happens, you'll probably find that your IP address is

169.254.xxx.xxx. That's the default IP address block used by MS if it can't find a DHCP server. If it's 0.0.0.0, give it a little more time. It should be 192.168.1.xxx.

You can sometimes convince it to connect by running: ipconfig /renew Check to see if it worked with: ipconfig again. If this becomes a bad habit, my guess(tm) is that you're experiencing either a marginal signal location, interference from other 2.4Ghz devices (cordless phones, microwave ovens, etc), or other

2.4GHz access points. Most likely the latter. If so, the first thing I would do it change to a different channel. The available choices are 1, 6, and 11 in the US. I dunno what the favorites are in the UK.

If the signal is marginal between the WG614 and WG511, I'm not sure what to recommend. Try moving the router and laptop around to a better location. DHCP is a rather flakey protocol that fails to appreciate packet loss and does weird things when there are errors. Try to get a better signal strength.

You can cheat a bit by slowing down the wireless. Range can be traded for speed. The algorithm used to set the speed always trys to go as fast as possible. That's not always a great idea. Dive into the WG614 configuration and set the wireless speed from "Auto" to

6MBits/sec. That's the slowest OFDM data rate available. Under ideal conditions, you'll get about half that in throughput. That should be sufficiently faster than your NTL DSL connection, so there should be no slow down.

Is there any pattern to the times and durations? I know of one building where it was impossible to use wireless during the lunch hours thanks to a wall full of leaky microwave ovens in the cafeteria. It worked fine any other time. Another turned out to be the neighbors wireless TIVO doing a timed download. Same show every day with a corresponding outage. Look for a pattern.

The description is good enough. The settings are fine.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thank you for this detailed reply. As it turns out, the connection has not disconnected since I put it on a few hours ago! But I will save your post for if this happens again.

I don't know if this has anything to do with fact that I swapped the Ethernet cable between the router and the NTL box with another one? Or was that just a coincidence.

Reply to
FJDx

You have to unplug the /router/ ??? If so, it sounds like a fault in the router itself, or in its power supply. My USR8000a (wired) started doing this, and it turned out to be a bad power supply.

Yes, symptoms might well be that your lappy lost connectivity, tried to reobtain an address, and failed.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

It has been my experience that the WGR614v1 has an issue with overheating. Try keeping it very cool. When I was using it wirelessly, I found that Keeping it cool kept it from dropping connections. Still, that was years ago. I still use the WGR614 but only as a wired firewall (NAT & SPI). I love its logging feature. I experiment with a lot of devices from various manufacturers and as of right now, I have a D-Link AP attached to the WGR614. Anyway, try keeping your device cool and monitor it. It may or may not work for you like it did for me.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Hi, what is the best way of keeping it cool short of leaving it in the fridge? It sits on top of my shelf so isn't boxed in, but does seem to be rather hot!

Reply to
FJDx

-> It has been my experience that the WGR614v1 has an issue with

-> overheating.

-> Try keeping it very cool. When I was using it wirelessly, I found that

-> Keeping it cool kept it from dropping connections. Still, that was

-> years

-> ago. I still use the WGR614 but only as a wired firewall (NAT & SPI). I

-> love

-> its logging feature. I experiment with a lot of devices from various

-> manufacturers and as of right now, I have a D-Link AP attached to the

-> WGR614. Anyway, try keeping your device cool and monitor it. It may or

-> may

-> not work for you like it did for me.

-

-Hi, what is the best way of keeping it cool short of leaving it in the

-fridge? It sits on top of my shelf so isn't boxed in, but does seem to be

-rather hot!

-

Initially, I purchased a small fan, but then I placed the WGR614 atop a shelf near one of my AC vents. Just Me, D

Reply to
Doug Jamal

The SMC7004VWBR was rumored to suffer from heat problems. Some people reported success by removing the rubber feet so that the metal bottom of the case could be placed in direct contact with a cookie sheet, which was sitting on little blocks to provide air flow underneath the large radiator provided by the cookie sheet.

I moved my SMC7004WFW up so that there was a free air path. Previously it was sheltered in a corner.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.