IP Intercom

The ice storm in Kansas City is a good time to test my new setup pending moving the office to home. I am using Voip phones and forwarded the phones before I left the office last night.

One major problem is intercom communication since my wife's home office is on the second floor and I have a basement office. With this Voip there is no way to know if she is on the phone. I bought a wireless intercom from Radio Shack which sucks.

A quick Google search indicates that there is a myriad of IP products but most are expensive and more than what I need.

Anyone know of a quick solution wired or wireless with Linksys wireless G router.

Reply to
Don Harvey
Loading thread data ...

ya, IP PBX.. heh Sounds like you already have a VoIP provider but you might want to look into

formatting link
and see if they will do what you want for decent money. I don't know if you are just using phone adapters or not but they have an TDM/IP phone that allows you to call other virtual office extensions in your network. and my guess you can also tell if they are on the phone (lit up button maybe?) I've never used them just seen their service. I'm in the telecom business I like to keep up. :)

What is your current network and VoIP setup?

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Hi Adair,

The current setup I have is with Vocalocity

formatting link
using 2 Linksys SPA942 phones (lines) and eventually will go to 4. In using today the phone quality was good. I have both phones ring when a call comes in to either phone number. The calls can be transferred say if I answer and it for my wife or visa versa.

The main problem I see is that each line terminates with the phone and can not be run thru a product such as a SPA9000 (is pbx a good word). Therefore the calls can be transferred back an forth between the 2 phones but you don't know if the person on the other phone is busy with a call or not. If the transfer is not picked up it will be routed to voice mail., not the best way to handle a sales call at times.

So I am probably going to have to check out other avenues. My old Premier PBX at my office has done a great job but I don't want to wire this house - the idea is downsize :))) I love the idea of being able to plug these phones anywhere there is broadband.

Reply to
Don Harvey

you are looking for something that will indicate "presence" - as in Unified Communications... another way, might be something non-voice... like using IM ?

Reply to
P.Schuman

also - there is "attended" transfer. from the

formatting link
website..... Call Transfer: Attended Transfer (alert forwarding party before transfer) & Blind Transfer (transfer the call directly

Reply to
P.Schuman

BTW - since you originally started a thread over on the VoIP newsgroup, I re-added it....

Since you have the Linksys SPA942 phone, and are using 2 lines, can't each phone somehow show the "presence" of the 2 lines from the hosting service ? In other words, can each phone have their 1st and 2nd lines show each of the

2 lines ?
Reply to
P.Schuman

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 13:41:48 -0600, "P.Schuman" wrotd:

I've been using this for a coupla years now... works fine! $14.20

formatting link

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

Thanks for the info. Vocalocity said no to the presence of both instances on the same phone but I don't see why not. I don't quite understand the programming of the SPA942 phones and Lines and Extensions but going to work on it. If Vocalocity don't want to help then I will find another provider.

Reply to
Don Harvey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.