IP Address Won't Renew with WEP Selected

It all started with hardware failure on wife's desktop. Swapped her HD and NETGEAR WG311v2 PC Adapter into another computer. Did the Win XP Pro setup/repair thing, loaded the NETGEAR drivers and software. After much fiddling, established a wireless connection, but every time I enable WEP the IP address will not renew and cannot connet to internet or email. Disable WEP and reboot and all is well.

Her PC is WIN XP PRO (SP1) with 311v2 as stated. My PC is also WIN XP PRO (SP1) hooked by ether to a Westell Versalink 327W router.

I have tried all of the following several times - removed the adapter drivers in normal and safe mode and reinstalled (with updated drivers), removed and reinstalled the card, run ipconfig to release IPs, tried to connect with NETGEAR software and with windows controlled, reset the router, several different WEP keys.

At the moment, she is connected with SSID disabled and MAC enabled, but I don't thing that is the way to go long term. Oh, I did manually enter the IP/subnet/etc, after deselecting automatic select IP ,but that did not work either.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. I'm completely out of ideas. Thank you in advance. HH

Reply to
HHatcher
Loading thread data ...

Just curious, why SP1? IIRC, SP2 had a lot of bugfixes in the WiFi supplicant, including adding WPA support, and SP2 upgrades are pretty straightforward now (have a good backup, and remove all malware before the upgrade and you should be fine.)

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

HHatcher hath wroth:

Common problem. Use a Hex WEP key instead of an ASCII key. The problem is that there are two different algorithms for converting between ASCII and Hex. Netgear supports one algorithm, Windoze supports the other. Hex always works. ASCII is a crap shoot.

You *REALLY* should install XP SP2. There are lots of wireless fixes and enhancements included.

Turn SSID broadcast back on, at least until you get WEP working. Various clients have problems connecting to access points that don't identify their SSID.

Please put the default DHCP settings back. DHCP will work as soon as the WEP key is accepted. The problem is that Windoze offers little in the way of useful connection progress diagnostics. There is no error message for a WEP key exchange failure.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the very straightforward help. I'll set up the HEX WEP, and reset the other changes, this weekend. On the SP2 comment, just haven't gotten around to it. I have the full SP2 downloaded and ready to install, so I'll drag myself into yr 2005 sometime soon now. Regards - HH

Reply to
HHatcher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.