"Internet Connected" vs. IP address in Netgear Utility

Hi all, I have a Netgear WG311T and am using Netgear's Utitlity to connect to a wireless an AP. The signal is from a local business that uses no encryption but you have to come in and get the SSID. When I connect I get a good signal strength and the Utility lists my local IP address but when I open Internet Explorer I cannot connect to a website or even use an ftp client. So i'm sure it's not because of security settings or a firewall since I can connect to another AP that after connecting gives "internet connected" were the IP address is located with the other AP. I can't find any information from Netgear or anywhere on the web as to why Internet doesn't work with the one AP but not the other. Does anybody know why the netgear utility displays "internet connected" instead of the local IP address or what it means to have one displayed instead of the other? I try to connect with the WindowsXP wireless utility all signals without SSIDs are not even listed.

TIA

Reply to
Benny
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

The Netgear Wireless Assistant will display the IP address before showing "Internet Connected". Once that has happened, click the About tab to see your IP address. That will be either an IP address assigned by DHCP from the AP, or a local (and useless) IP address assigned by Windows if DHCP fails. In the latter case, Windows XP reports "limited or no connectivity".

You can use Advanced Settings -> Wireless Networks -> Add to configure your adapter for a network that doesn't broadcast its SSID.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for the response. When I use the Windows XP utility to manually configure the network I still can't use the internet. I get a "limited or no connectivity message" for the connection and it just has an IP address assigned but no internet use. I also can't ping their router so I guess it's some driver or hardware thing

Reply to
Benny
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

This probably has nothing to do with driver or hardware. The "thing" is that the access point isn't giving you an IP address by DHCP. The IP address you are getting is assigned by Windows when DHCP fails, and it won't even work to ping the access point, much less get on the Internet. You need to find out why DHCP isn't working through the access point. Ask the local business.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.