Internet/cable modem/desktop; desktop/wlan/notebook; notebook can't access internet. Help? TIA

I access the internet via Comcast and a Motorola cable modem connected to my desktop via a network cable (i.e., not USB). That works fine.

I have a wireless connection between my desktop and my Dell notebook via a D-Link DWL-G122 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter. The notebook has built-in wireless networking. I can exchange files, etc., between the desktop and the notebook, so that works fine too.

However, I haven't figured out how to access the internet from my notebook.

Any ideas?

TIA

Reply to
dubya
Loading thread data ...

Yes, ICS is enabled on the desktop, but thanks for the suggestion (I double-checked). I'm including more info in case it's helpful:

Reply to
dubya

Okay, I played around with it some more and found a solution. I don't understand why it works, but it does.

I changed the notebook wireless connection so that the IP address is obtained automatically. Problem solved. :)

But in closing, I still don't understand why the IP address I was using for the notebook was the (apparent) cause of the problem.

Anyone know the answer?

Reply to
dubya

dubya wrote in news:8o0gl1poggk30pevlc9mqi1cgb6ut63p5a@

4ax.com:

It's called Internet Connection Sharing. Have you tried to implement it on the comouters O/S?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Because 192.168.*.* and 10.*.*.* (and I'm pretty sure one other range) are private subnets and supposed to be unrouteable outside their own LAN. When you used DHCP you were assigned an address on the same network as the Internet connection, thus it's routeable.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.