International 802.11x Compatibility

I'm going to be visiting Germany in the near future (I'm from the US). Does Germany/Europe have widespread compatibility for the

802.11b/g standard? Since IEEE is a US based organization I am a bit curious if my laptop's wireless G will function...
Reply to
cronistar
Loading thread data ...

When I was in Europe a year and a half ago, I had no problems, except for finding open hotspots. In Berlin, the Sony Center had free WI-FI, but that was one of the few places I found where you didn't have to pay. It would be interesting to get feedback on whether things have improved since then.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Thanks, I will be going there in June. I had heard that the EU had only approved the A standard and that seemed a bit odd to me. But from the way it sounds I will be ok. Thanks Kyle

Reply to
Croman

Very much more the other way round, a didn't get much notice, b was adopted pretty much universally, g equally so.

We have steam too and are just working on how to produce electricity from that so as long as we get that sorted before your trip, you should be able to recharge your batteries.

You are aware that they speak a different language in Germany right?! :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Thanks, I should have all that covered. Seems to be fairly similar to the US then... Ja, ich spreche Deutsch. Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut, aber ich kann sprechen. Vielen Dank!

Reply to
Croman

Then you'll be fine ;)

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.