Internal Wireless Cards?

Is there a way that I can connect an external antenna to my Laptop that has an internal wireless card?

Thanks in advance for the help

-Joey

Reply to
sparticusvw
Loading thread data ...

No.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Yes :)

Open the cover for the wireless card, find the connector for the internal antenna and make a fly lead out to an external connector.

Sure, it's not going to be easy and if you're after better gain, personally I'd stick with the internal one for day to day use and get either a USB or a PCMCIA card with an external antenna connector, it's much easier and it'll work.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Maybe. If your unspecified wireless card in your unspecified laptop has a mini-PCI card that has two Hirose u-FL connectors going to the antenna(s), then you can purchase a u-FL to whatever pigtail and attach an external antenna. You'll probably need to drill a notch in the laptop case to route the coax cable out of the case. See:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
cables or search Google for: "u-fl pigtail" The connectors are very fragile and do not tolerate many insertions and removals. They are also not very tolerant to pulling, twisting, tugging, or any kind of movement, which will surely happen with an external antenna. If this is an old laptop, you might consider a u-FL to SMA pigtail and mount the SMA to the laptop case somewhere. The SMA can handle the strain.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.