Internal vs external 802.11g adapter

Hello all,

(I am new to Mac and wireless newsgroups. If there are other, more appropriate newsgroups, please mention them.)

I've just bought an 802.11g wireless access point (Linksys WRT54G) to share my DSL connection between several computers. I (unscientifically) tested the signal quality in every room with a laptop equipped with a PCMCIA 802.11g adapter.

In a specific room, the driver utility claims that link quality hovers between 35% and 50% (whatever that means) depending on the orientation of the laptop. In that room, I plan to use an Imac G4 (flat panel, round base) which came with an "Airport Extreme" slot.

Customer-Installable Parts Instructions

formatting link
What format did Apple use for the Airport Extreme network adapters? It's not PCMCIA/Cardbus, is it?

Is it standard? In other words, if I want to insert an adapter in that slot, are there third-party, non-Apple, available adapters out there?

Do the Airport Extreme adapters have the same range as PCMCIA or PCI wireless adapters? PCI adapters have an antenna, most PCMCIA/Cardbus adapters have a flat "bulge" which I imagine serves as an antenna. If the Airport Extreme is buried deep within the iMac, where is the antenna? How can it be effective "inside" the computer?

I started looking for USB wireless adapters, because they usually have a large antenna. Are there third-party USB wireless adapters with Mac OS X drivers out there? Are they better or worse than an Airport Extreme adapter in terms of range and driver support?

I plan to use WPA, or 802.11i if it ever becomes available to my hardware. I've read that some USB wireless adapters do not support it? Is it a hardware or software (driver) limitation?

I apologize for so many questions, but I must admit I am somewhat confused when it comes to Apple hardware.

I'd be very grateful for any guidance and insight.

Reply to
Grumble
Loading thread data ...

As far as I know, the Apple Airport Extreme card is the only device that will plug into the iMac Airport socket. It is most definitely NOT PCMCIA

The iMac runs the antenna round the edge of the screen. When the Airport Extreme card is plugged in, there is a little antenna wire that is then plugged into the back of the card.

You could read about some stuff at the Apple web site

formatting link
There is also a book on the market called "Mac OS X Unwired" by Tom Negrino and Dori Smith, which should explain some more of your questions.

However, a few of your questions can only be answered by people that have first hand experience, and I did set up my Mom's 17" iMac, I do not have experience with 802.11 WiFi running on PCs.

Bob Harris

Reply to
Bob Harris

If your Macs have Ethernet connections, use a game adapter (sometimes known as a wireless Ethernet bridge.)

formatting link
Don W.

Reply to
Don W.

As far as I understand, WPA cannot be used when a wireless bridge is involved. Am I mistaken?

formatting link
Dynamically assigned and rotated encryption keys are not supported in a WDS connection. This means that Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and other dynamic key assignment technology may not be used. Static WEP keys only may be used in a WDS connection, including any STAs that associate to a WDS repeating AP.

Static WEP is unacceptable :-(

I'm confused, because e.g. D-Link claims both the DWL-G810 and the DWL-G820 support some form of WPA (the wording is rather strange).

formatting link
?pid=333 (Can anybody tell the difference between the two devices?)

Perhaps what D-Link calls a bridge is an 802.11-802.3 bridge, whereas what Tom calls a bridge is an 802.11-802.11 bridge?

I think that would make sense.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply to
Grumble

Technically, a bridge is any device that connects one physical network to another. In wireless parlance, it usually refers to an access point (AP) that connects a wireless network to an Ethernet network (as well as functioning as the hub for its wireless network). But "bridge" can also refer to a technique of linking two or more wireless access points together so that the radio connection substitutes for an Ethernet cable between the two devices.

This technique was often referred to as "wireless bridging" but is now generally called WDS, for Wireless Distribution System. It can be used to connect wired-only devices to a wireless network. The wireless (WDS) segment of the network is invisible to the wired devices, which only "see" an Ethernet LAN. The catches: WDS is not yet standardized, so it doesn't usually work between APs of different manufacture; and you can't use WPA in WDS mode.

Without WDS-compatible APs, the only way to connect a device -- computer, printer, game box, etc -- to an existing wireless network is with an adapter that functions in client mode. Yet another catch: while many APs can now do WDS, very few can operate in client mode. (The way an AP or base station usually operates is referred to as "infrastructure mode".) Apple's new AirPort Express base station can operate in client mode, but only for the purposes of audio streaming and USB printer sharing, not for a Mac connected to it via Ethernet.

There are devices that function as wireless adapters/clients and connect to their computer (or game box, etc) by Ethernet rather than through USB or a card slot. Their advantage is that they work with any Ethernet device and don't require installation of any additional software. Again, the computer "sees" only a standard Ethernet LAN: the wireless link is transparent. And while "Ethernet-to-wireless external adapter" might be a more precise description, these devices are frequently called . . . "bridges". D-Link's DWL-G810 is such a device.

Reply to
Neill Massello

The latest firmware release for Apple's AirPort Express and Extreme base stations has added support for WPA when using WDS. AFAIK, other brands of wireless APs can't do this yet.

See or .

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.