Internal pings result in time outs

My LAN consist of a Linksys WRK54G wireless router, a DELL 2650 laptop with a Netgear WG511v1 PC card and a AMD desktop PC wired to the router. I have the router configured to broadcast the SSID, channel 6, and WPA security. The DELL and desktop connect over the Internet perfectly. The issue is my LAN internally. The laptop has WinXP SP2 and the desktop has WinXP SP1. When I ping the laptop I receive network time outs from 50% to 100% intermittently. Its essential I fix this problem since I share files across the two machines. So it appears as though the laptop disconnects but it hasn't. Because when I get these time outs across the LAN. The laptop can still ping out and execute other Internet traffic at the same time the desktop is unable to connect to it. One thing to note is when I execute "ping laptop -t" (resulting in packet time outs) and then go over to the laptop and execute "ping desktop" the packets from the laptop are then received by the desktop. Its like I woke it up. Do I have a hardware problem, software problem in the card, OS problem (wouldn't surprise me) or is this common in the wireless world of networking?

Reply to
news user
Loading thread data ...

How will I connect if WZC and the card's connection utility are not running? Didn't thin it was possible.

Reply to
news user

"news user" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You can use the following on the NIC's:

1) Client for MS network 2) MS File and Print Sharing 3) QoS Packet Scheduler 4) TBP/IP Internet.

Use those four above and remove anything else that's listed.

For the wireless card you can do the following:

1) Download the card's driver from its website 2) Install driver and configure the card using Device Manager. 3) Disable Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP 4) Don't install or use the card's utility program -- not even to show signal strength 5) On the NIC's Properties screen, select *show network connection* and by placing the mouse on the icon, it will show signal strength.

This usually makes the wireless connection solid as a rock.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"news user" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

formatting link
What WZCS means to you the home user is that WZCS will roam and try to connect to other networks in your area dropping the current connection. If you're not in a roaming environment or situation needing to connect to different networks as you walk round in that environment, then why do you need it? Win 2K has WZCS too, but it's disabled by default and people use wireless on the Win 2K setup without WZCS.

Everything you can do with the card's utility to configure the card for SSID, WEP or WAP code, setting the channel to be used, etc, etc can be done with Device Manager and select the card, right-click the line and select Properties. By having the O/S configure the card makes it more stable.

You don't need the card's utility to do anything and it has been my experience that having the two running WZCS and the card's utility can make the connection unstable.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.