Intermittant Wireless Connectivity....Please Help!

I have a Cisco Aironet 350 Series Access Point and several machines running Windows XP with HP WL500 wireless adapters.

The wireless connection on every machine drops out about 2 or 3 times per day - sometimes for as long as 30 mins. They do reconnect / repair their connections themselves after that time.

The access point log shows the following entries each time and for each machine:

Deauthentication (MAC Address) reason "Previous authentication no longer valid".

and

Station (MAC Address) Failed Authentication. Status Unsupported Authentication Algorithm.

I have recently changed the WEP keys and it worked fine for a while. I cannot understand what has changed to make it start doing this.

I understand that the "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" should not be enabled but in any case, I am not using Windows to configure the settings. Instead, I am using the Atheros client utility and I have yet to find an equivalent setting since I am not on site to review it.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Reply to
Rachel
Loading thread data ...

On 27 Mar 2007 03:55:57 -0700, "Rachel" wrote in :

The most likely cause is radio frequency interference. See wikis below for info on possible sources and cures.

Does this happen when you put a wireless client about 6 feet from the access point?

Are you using MAC filtering in the access point? If so, turn it off -- too easily spoofed to be of any real value, and it tends to cause problems.

Otherwise, check on DHCP lease renewals. Normally the renewal will be attempted by a wireless client halfway through the lease.

You really should be using WPA -- WEP is too easily cracked to be of much value.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.