Interfering network

I have router & modem connecting via Comcast, 1 laptop with XP Home. It is properly set up and has been working well until rrecently when called an unsecured network called Weatherby seems to take over. I finally zapped weatherby from a list of available connections, but it still interferes from time to time and it takes a lot of fiddling to get MY connection back. When I click on view Available Wireless Networks - my own will show up as it's supposed to, but every now and then Weatherby shows up alone.

What's going on? What can I do about it? Thanks....

Reply to
Windwatcher
Loading thread data ...

Try a different channel for your network?

Try using Net Stumbler or some such to determine the channel of Weatherby. Then choose a channel at least 5 channels away (1,6 and 11 work best with 802.11b and 802.11g networks because those channels have the most separation from each other).

Reply to
Jerry Park

You might try to configure the XP O/S to not roam with the Wireless Zero Configuration Service so that it doesn't pick-up other networks in your area by disabling WZCS.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Change the channel in the router, broadcast your SSID.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Thanks for the help. I'm assuming this means to uncheck "Use windows to configure my wireless network settings" in network connections properties, I couldn't find anything for Zero Configuration.

Reply to
Windwatcher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.