Interference to/from portable phone

Hi. I have a Panasonic KX-TG2224 2.4GHz portable phone in my house. I also have a Dell laptop with Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection.

I've lost my wireless connection in the Dell a few times when I used the phone near it. This is really a problem the way PuTTY doesn't recover.

Do I have to get a new phone to avoid this interference? What kind?

Reply to
RR
Loading thread data ...

You might even find an older 900 Mhz phone. An older Uniden spread-spectrum would be a good bet. Luck

Reply to
Jake

have a Dell laptop with Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection.

near it. This is really a problem the way PuTTY doesn't recover.

Get a 5.8GHz based cordless phone. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

also have a Dell laptop with Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection.

phone near it. This is really a problem the way PuTTY doesn't recover.

Strong sucker. Is that Panasonic one of those 2.4Ghz "super-duper, enhanced-range" cordless deals?

Yeah, I also had interference with my old 2.4Ghz phone as well. The phone didn't break my network links, but would slow data down somewhat. Most annoying was that the interference from the AP's could be heard in the phone though. I was always hitting the damn channel button on the phone to find some clean air.

Gave that phone away and since been using a 900Mhz phone. Works fine. I have 802.11g and 802.11a in the air, so a 5.8Ghz phone would've caused problems with the 802.11a.

You could go with either. 900Mhz will give you more range, if thats something you need. Obviously, get a digital SSMA 900Mhz phone and not one of the old analogs.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric

In terms of PuTTY timing out, due to the loss of connection, take a look at section 7.11 of the FAQ, to change the number of TCP retries.

formatting link
Reply to
danr_18

Some 5.8 gHz phones uses 2.4 gHz in one direction. So make sure to research that first.

Reply to
danr_18

I bought a Uniden 5.8 GHz DXAI588-2 at Target. This phone says 5.8, but also uses 900MHz. It's junk. Comes with two handsets, but only a 10 number memory, and the audio quality was dreadful.

I took it back, and bought a Panasonic KX-TG5453 at Costco. This is a three handset, 5.8GHz-only. I've always liked Panasonic phones and answering machines, and I thought there was a set on sale at Target, but I didn't see it at the store.

This set cost twice as much as the Uniden, but it has three handsets, is fully featured, and the audio quality is superb. Each handset has a speakerphone, spoken caller ID, separate phonebooks, and distinctive ringtones, and different lights on the antenna for distinctive ringing.

It even says "Wireless Network Friendly" on the package, ignoring 802.11a, I suppose. It lists 802.11b/g friends on the specs.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.