Intel/Dlink Connection Problems

Sounds like the 128-bit key isn't the same between the machines. Are you entering a passphrase or a 26-digit hex key? Try using the hex key, not everyone's passphrase-to-hex algorythm works the same...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

What IP address are you receiving from the LG LS50 laptop using the 2200BG card? Also, I'm assuming you're using Windows XP. If it is similar to

169.x.x.x, you need to either reconfigure the card, reboot and/or verify that all of your settings are correct. If your're stuck in "acquiring IP address" mode, something is probably misconfigured. My guess is that the WEP keys are not exactly the same as on the DWL-2100AP. Temporarily disable the encryption on both the LG LS50 and the DWL-2100AP and see how well you connect. If all is well, then enable encryption, preferrably WPA-PSK on both devices. Start off with a simple 7 digit passphrase on both devices and see how well you connect. If successful, remove the 7 digit passphrase and enter a long nonsense passphrase on both devices. See example below:

f167r67qeqy9aome63bs1jhy06qxk9cwxkaykamyx3xemo36539tqobxmpfb7ca

Let us know how if your problem is solved or not. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

I just got a LG LS50 laptop with an Intel WirelessPro 2200BG adapter. I am trying to connect it to my existing network via a Dlink DWL-2100AP. The signal strength reports as ok but it won't connect. I am using WEP

128 bit security. The authentication is correct. My other laptop with a Dlink DWL-G650 works perfectly. Any suggestions?
Reply to
Dene Charlesworth

Ah, then it's either a driver problem or a hardware problem...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Check to see whether or not the Windows Wireless Configuration Utility and the Intel Pro wireless config. utility are both loaded and trying to control your wireless card. If they both are, disable the Windows Wireless Configuration Utility and use the one that's specifically for the card.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Since the DWL-G650 works with the DWL-2100AP+, it's a fair bet that the DWL-2100AP is working as expected. That leaves the new laptop, the Intell 2200BG MiniPCI card, or the card driver. My guess(tm) is the driver is screwed up. Try downloading the latest greatest Proset from Intel at:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Also, check if you have the latest firmware for the DWL-2100AP

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have the same problem with no encryption at all. It is set to obtain IP address automatically. I disabled the Intel 2200BG & installed the G650 from the other laptop & it worked ok. If all else fails I might have to buy another G650 but I would really like to get the intel unit working.

Reply to
Dene Charlesworth

I use a 26 digit hex key. It is very simple & hard to stuff up. As I said above I have the same problem with no encryption at all.

Reply to
Dene Charlesworth

Does this laptop work wirelessly anywhere else? If the WiFi isn't disabled via magic keystroke (for airplane use and battery extension) it might actually be broken...

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Your original description does not describe at what point wireless connectivity fails. Failure to load driver? Failure to see the DWL-2100AP? Failure to associate? Failure to connect? Failure to get DHCP IP's? Failure to surf the internet? A better description of "won't connect" would be helpful.

1. Does the laptop work with a wired ethernet connection?
  2. Does Proset see the 2000BG card?
  3. What do the Proset diagnostics and statistics show?
  4. Does the LG laptop work with other wireless access points or wireless routers? Hang it out the window (carefully) and see if "Show available networks" will find any other access points. If not, drag it down to wireless hot spot and do some testing. Maybe try Netstumbler.
  5. Look in the Windoze "Event Viewer" for any useful error messages. The driver load may be failing.
  6. Look around the LG laptop for some kind of wireless on/off switch. There's usually a LED lamp associated with this switch.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You're welcome, Dene. Sorry we couldn't find a solution. You win some and lose some, right? Anyway, take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Tried both seperately, tried a program called IP Loader that came with the laptop. tried boingo. All failed miserably. Think I'll admit defeat & buy another G650. Thanks for trying anyway Doug.

Reply to
Dene Charlesworth

Already tried the 'latest greatest pro/set & the 2100AP has the latest firmware. Tried older & newer drivers for the 2200BG but still no good. Thanks for trying Jeff

Has anyone out there got this combination working??

Reply to
Dene Charlesworth

Thanks for trying Jeff. I bought a Dlink DWL-G630 & am using that. I'll try again later with the BG.

To answer some of your questions.

1. The laptop works perfectly with an ethernet connection. I can surf the net. access the other computers, etc. I can also do all that with the G630.
  2. Proset sees the BG card.
  3. Proset diagnostics show no reportable events.

Failure occurs when trying to connect. After it has found the AP.

I know a little about the basics of this stuff (got an old belkin card working on this network & also got the G650 & G630 talking to the old belkin AP) & am inclined to think the 2 are just not compatible. Again thanks for your efforts.

Reply to
Dene Charlesworth

I've got nowhere else to try it. It reports as being enabled in device manager & all the various software programs can see it.

Reply to
Dene Charlesworth

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.