1024 Petabytes = 1 Exabyte

What comes after the Exabyte ?

1024 Exabyte = 1 zettabyte

What comes after the zettabyte ?

1024 zettabyte = 1 Yottabyte
Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

That is wrong, but common. 1KByte is 1,000 Bytes; etc. For educational purposes, see:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Bob Willard

Yes.

No, but that's a common mistake. 1024k is 1 mebibyte, where the 'bi' indicates use of binary math. Likewise on upward for gebi, tebi, pebi, exbi and, presumably, yebi and zebi.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

You are incorrect. 1KByte has always been about 1024 bytes. Now, the larger disk drives have gotten, the more they want to use base 10 calculations where 1MB = 1,000,000 bytes. Yes, this is problematic as some (most?) operating systems still use mulitples of 1024 for megabyte calculations. THAT is 'incorrect' but it's a legacy annoyance, as is the historical usage of kilobyte = 1024.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

"Peter Pan" hath wroth:

(...)

If only life were so simple. See:

and from the NIST, we have:

Of course, standards are made to be broken:

For entertainment value, try using these: 2 bits: crumb, quad, quarter, tayste, tydbit 4 bits: nibble, nybble 5 bits: nickle, nyckle 10 bits: deckle 16 bits: plate, playte, chomp, chawmp (on a 32-bit machine) 18 bits: chomp, chawmp (on a 36-bit machine) 32 bits: dinner, dynner, gawble (on a 32-bit machine) 48 bits: gobble, gawble (under circumstances that remain obscure)

I once proposed the pseudobyte as equal to 1012 bytes. That's the arithmetic average of 1000 bits and 1024 bits, which should serve as a suitable compromise value thus satisfying both camps. It was summarily rejected as counterproductive by all that took me seriously.

It also gets ugly with speed abreviations, such as Bps, bps, Bytes/sec, bits/sec, etc. I won't go there and simply suggest that one should not abrev.

Try not to byte off more than you can chew.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

This statement is also wrong, but common. In fact /both/ are correct.

Yeah, we all know what the ISO standard is, and hands up any /real/ human that uses kibi, mibi etc.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

This is a modern invention, written by the committee that invented the camel, in order to 'deobfuscate' something that wasn't actually complicated in the first place.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Ok, I'll byte. What comes next?

Reply to
DTC

I did, once, and only once. It was in a performance test report, where the use was appropriate. However, nobody could figure out what I was talking about or knew what a mibibyte was, so I revised it back to the common usage, tweaked the numbers, and never made that mistake again.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Ummm... It's kebi (KiB), mebi (Mib), etc. As usual, the abrevs make no sense and are guaranteed to confuse.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

DTC hath wroth:

After you byte, you chew. Following that, you swallow. The rest of the description is unsuitable for a family newsgroup.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Bob, you must work for Seagate.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.