IExplorer7 with router setup?

I made notes and I see that I kept the default "admin" password" when I first setup my WAP54G access point using the earlier version of IExplorer (6 of some kind I believe). Had to use IE because Mozilla could never contact the router.

Anyway, I updated to IExplorer7 not long ago and now I can't access the router setup. It won't take "admin" password any more. Doesn't seem likely but could this be due to the IE7 update?

Is my only option to hard reset the router and start all over? Thanks.

Reply to
rob
Loading thread data ...

rob hath wroth:

Don't hit reset. It probably won't help.

I just tried to login to a customers WAP54G v3.0 firmware 3.04 and found my password also will not work with IE7. However, it works fine with Firefox 2.0, Slimbrowser 4.08(?), and Opera 8.10 (old). Sorry, but I gave up on Netscape Mozilla long ago. It also works from my PDAphone using IE6 under Windoze Mobile 5. I have no idea what's broken, but suspect it's yet another Javascript or authentication incompatibility. If you search Google for "IE7 login failure" or similar strings, you'll find that you're not alone, but with other hardware. For example:

First try flushing the IE7 cache and refreshing the login page with . If that fails, try a different browser.

Note: Next time you ask a question, supply as much hardware information as possible. The model number is often insufficient.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sir, thanks for your help. I just "uninstalled" IE7 and it reverted back to IE6. It still works the same.

I guess I need to try Firefox 2.0 but first I've got to be sure it doesn't muck up my current Mozilla installation which I use for email and these newsgroups.

At least I know now I'm not the only one whose knickers where got into by Mr. Gates (again). Thanks.

Reply to
rob

Ah, I'll bet this is something encoded in 'hardware' recall my question early in the week regarding DD-WRT (23 I think) on a WRT54G v2? I was wondering if anyone had encountered problems with the Web config / gui was not rendering correctly in IE 7. Looks like maybe in typical fashion MS broke something in the 'upgrade'. Lucky for me the router functions right, just can't work with it in IE7.

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

I' sure something in MSHTMl/MSXML .dll has changed and even when you reverted back those .dlls were not rolled back. I do development work and installed MSXML 6 recently and have been wondering if that is what broke rendering in DDWRT on my router. On another computer that 'never' gets changed and is running 5 from several years ago all is fine...

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

You could always move on (what I did) from Mozilla and use Thunderbird and Firefox.

Reply to
George

George, I tried that a year or so ago and the only problem I found is that Thunderbird apparently can't handle two mail accounts which I keep separately on Mozilla. Or at least I couldn't figure out how to do it so I just got the latest Mozilla. Thanks.

Reply to
rob

rob hath wroth:

It's easy in Thunderbird. You have a choice of dumping everything into one mailbox, which unfortunately is the default, or keeping them seperate. During the initial mailbox setup, it will ask "Use global inbox" which should be unchecked. You can change your mind at any time in the Account Settings pages. See:

for instructions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sir, thanks for the help. Do you know whether I can download Firefox and keep it/run it separately from Mozilla? If so, I could try it and make the transition a bit more controlled. I guess if that works, I could then install Thunderbird and see if I can get it to take over the Mozilla mail/newsgroup accounts.

Reply to
rob

rob hath wroth:

Try not to ask two questions in the same sentence.

Also try not to transition between an email question, and a web browser question.

Yes, I know what happens when you install Firefox with an existing Netscape Navigator installation.

Yes, you can keep them seperate.

It would also be helpful if you would disclose what version of Netcape Navigator, Mozilla, or whatever you have installed.

If you have Netscape Navigator 8 installed, it uses exactly the same directory structure as Mozilla Firefox. You can have both installed on the same machine and they will both share each other bookmarks, user profiles, and history. Note that this is for the web browser, not for the email, which uses different directory structures. You can also elect to install Firefox in a different data directory structure during installation, and then import the bookmarks from Netscape Navigator 8. Lots of options. Whatever try, do NOT uninstall Netscape Navigator before installing Firefox. Firefox will not find the data files and you'll have to hack the bookmarks and such manually.

Mozilla Firefox = web browser Mozilla Thurderbird = email program. Netscape Navigator = web browser Netscape Communicator = web browser and email program. Mozilla = name of group that promotes the open source browser, email, and such. It is a company, not a product name.

The installation of Firefox has nothing to do with Thunderbird. They are totally seperate.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for your help and your curt commands.

Apparently you are not aware of the existance of the product I am using, it's called -from the 'about' menu item: Mozilla 1.7.13 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060414

The Mozilla group appears to name this product for itself. Netscape Communicator is nowhere to be found in this thing even though it appears they use a lot of the same machinery.

Reply to
rob

You may be interested to know that this product is no longer supported and due to a variety of outstanding issues users were advise to upgrade to FF and Thunderbird.

formatting link
" The Mozilla Suite is no longer supported and is affected by several known vulnerabilities fixed in newer Mozilla-based products. All users are urged to upgrade to a supported product."
formatting link

Reply to
Rob

rob hath wroth:

Egads. Y'er right. I'd totally forgotten about release that when it was transitioned to Firefox and Thunderbird and the old all in one Mozilla application became "SeaMonkey" and 1.7.13 was listed as "in transition" in 2003.

formatting link
formatting link
"The SeaMonkey project is a community effort to deliver production-quality releases of code derived from the application formerly known as "Mozilla Application Suite"."

Also see:

formatting link
formatting link
has quite a bit on Mozilla/SeaMoney Suite.

My appologies for the confusion.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

For what its worth, we knew all this from your news headers: User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060414

Mozilla 1.7.x is end-of-life, and Mozilla recommend users to upgrade to FireFox.

formatting link
Jeff said, FF and Mozilla are completely compatible, your slightly sarcastic response notwithstanding.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:15:33 GMT, rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) wrote in :

I've had no problem administering DD-WRT v23SP2 with IE7.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.