IE7 failure to access router setup revisited

Earlier I reported that I screwed up and let Bill Gates upgrade my IE6 to IE7. I quickly found out it couldn't access either my Linksys RT31P2 cable modem/phone router or the Linksys WAP54G. Uninstalling back to IE6 didn't help, Gates somehow screwed it up too (it used to work).

I'm using a standard XP system.

So I got Firefox 2 and darn if I wasn't able to access the RT31P2 using 'admin' as the username.

But I can find no way to get into the WAP54G -- it finds it but won't take the username I have in my notes (admin). I've also tried every password or username I've ever used. Maybe this has nothing to do with my previous problems.

I've just got to ask if there's anything else to try before doing a hard RST on the AP and then starting all over getting my laptop to connect to it (that took me 2 weeks the first time and I have no idea how I finally got it to work).

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
rob
Loading thread data ...

What did you use as the password? Default is also admin.

According to the manual,CH 6 , the first time you access the WAP you leave the username blank and enter admin as the password.

Reply to
Rob

Rob, AHA! I would have never guessed that on the RT31P2 the default 'admin' would be as a user name --with no password and on the WAP54G the default would be 'admin' as a password

-- with no username. This goes to show what a total lack of imagination I have. And all this from the same bunch of guys at Linksys.

Thanks a lot for helping me on this. I was ready to assume I was just crazy and reset the AP and start over.

Rob wrote:

Reply to
rob

Some of my devices want to pop up a window, or run some ActiveX, or something that used to be allowed, or give a warning. To get those same things to work in IE7, I added the device as a trusted site.

That doesn't bother me so much with 192.168.1.100, because I think I have a pretty good grasp of what device that is, on my home machine.

My laptop would be a little dicier, because I might connect at some hotspot and there could be some foul fellow at that address.

Reply to
dold

Actually, it's different groups. Linksys has several vendors that supply them with hardware. Linksys puts their name on the box, provides documentation, support, marketing, etc. The philosophies of these vendors tend to be somewhat different.

See:

for a list of default passwords. Note that the use of "admin" by Linksys for login and password is almost random.

Assumption, the mother of all screwups.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.