ICS not present in XP?

There are a number of parts of XP that are not automatically installed, and depending on who you got XP from ( pre-installed by a computer manufacterer, or from microsoft), what is default installed is different...

Go to start/control panel/add or remove programs.. On the left side are three big icons, the 3rd being "Add/Remove Windows Components".. click on that..a windows components wizard starts up, and lets you change what is installed.

I think ICS is part of "Network Services"...A box can be checked, blank, or grey..... make sure it is checked.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

I found this.... Go to start, run, enter services.msc . Make sure all the following services are turned on. To turn on a service, click to select the check box. Also see if they are set to manual or auto start. If manual, after a reboot the service will be off again..

. Application Layer Gateway Service . Network Connections . Network Location Awareness (NLA) . Plug and Play . Remote Access Auto Connection Manager . Remote Access Connection Manager . Remote Procedure Call (RPC) . Telephony

Reply to
Airhead

Do you by ant chance have something like norton systemworks, or a firewall installed? That can block it too...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Never mind that.. I went back to your original mesage and got the part that wasn't snipped.... "computer but I got an error message claiming that the CSI service was not installed (error code 0x0424 'The specified service does not exist as an installed service')."

If you got a message saying it wasn't installed, that's not a firewall/systemworks sort of message...

Okay.. silly question.. who made the computer, and is it an unmodified XP, or a version supplied by the machines manufacturer (and may have been modified).. If an OEM version, check the manufacturers site.

Bottom line, that feature (ICS) is part of windows and supplied in the microsoft version...

If it is a real microsoft version of xp, it may have not been installed when you first installed xp.... If that is the case, you should be able to run setup again (it becomes change if it detecs a previous installation).

Reply to
Peter Pan

This is unusual - I wanted to enable ICS on my WinXP Pro machine in order to share the internet connection via WLAN with another computer but I got an error message claiming that the CSI service was not installed (error code 0x0424 'The specified service does not exist as an installed service'). The connection is otherwise functional - I can send files from one machine to the other without any problems.

I'm confused now. Isn't ICS a part of XP? How can it be missing? And if it does how can I 'install' it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
RG

checked, blank, or grey..... make sure it is checked.

I did that but unfortunately nothing even similar to ICS showed up there (or anywhere in the windows components setup) for me to install.

Reply to
RG

The MS documentation says "it is recommended that you use the Network Setup Wizard in Windows XP Professional to enable Internet Connection Sharing. "

Did you try that? Sorry, I missed the start of the thread.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Try going to C:\windows\i386 find the ICS software and use Expand to install it.

Reply to
Christian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.