IBSS

Just got my new wifi adapter. In doing a scan I noticed one of the signals reporting was listed as: "FREE PUBLIC WIFI" IBSS.

I tried to connect to this on an XP box, signal shot to 100% but nothing happened after that. No working connection.

Is this some kind of "honey" trap? In the past I have been able to connect to other signals and access the internet, but this one seems configured differently. How is IBSS different from the other signals I am seeing?

Reply to
Anonymous
Loading thread data ...

reporting was listed as: "FREE PUBLIC WIFI" IBSS.

The Zombie Network: Beware 'Free Public WiFi' by Travis Larchuk

It's in your airports, your coffee shops and your libraries: "Free Public WiFi."

Despite its enticing name, the network, available in thousands of locations across the United States, does not actually provide access to the Internet. But like a virus, it has spread -- and may even be lurking on your computer right now ---------- rest:

formatting link

Reply to
danny burstein

That article isn't quite accurate. It's a built in bug in the Microsloth wireless client manager (WZC). These articles are more accurate:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Btw Microsoft may not be the only progenitor of this sort of behavior ... "Free Public WiFi" may be be coming soon to an iPhone near you!

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Yes, but what will they call it? Some call it peer to peer. Others prefer Ad-Hoc. The Wi-Fi Alliance calls it "Wi-Fi Direct".

Anyway, the iPhone has done peer to peer since iOS 3.0, and I haven't seen the "Free Public Wi-Fi" SSID appear, yet. I wouldn't want to turn off peer to peer networking in my iphone as all the cool multiplayer games need it.

Drivel: The only encryption that reliably works in ad-hoc mode is WEP. Yech.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.