IBM thinkpad wireless lan question

I am not at all familiar with thinkpads, but any mini-pci wireless card should fit into and work in any mini-pci slot on any system.

Reply to
Jerry Park
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Let me correct my previous post. I think I read somewhere that IBM thinkpads have some BIOS or something which prevent use of devices other than those approved by IBM. That may be the case?

Reply to
Jerry Park

Hi, I have an IBM thinkpad R40 Celeron (model# 2681 CTO) that I want to add to my home wireless network. It's wireless upgradable ready (the antenna wires are already installed and there is a mini pci slot) I've been looking at the IBM 31P9107 as it supports 802.11a/b/g. In trying to determine weather this card is compatable with my system I found the following information on the IBM USA site:

On this page,

formatting link
information shows a compatability with the ThinkPad R40 Celeron and P4

but on this page,

formatting link
list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40 Celeron and P4 2681.

Anyone know which is true? Thanks, Tracy

Reply to
Tracy

Dunno. Thinkpad and wireless are potentially a mess, where a substantial number of mini-PCI cards simply do not work with the IBM drivers. (They may work with the Intel, Broadcom, or vendor drivers). See:

formatting link
part of the horror story. Unfortunately, the above URL does not include anything on the R40.

I can't find the 31P9107 in any of my IBM references. However, the

31P9701 is a valid number. This URL sorta hints that it will work with the R40.

formatting link
It's also the same as the 91P7301 which probably (not sure) works with the R40. Both are available on eBay for $40-$50.

Do your really need the 802.11a capeability? If not, the selection of

802.11b/g cards is much better.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link
>> the list of compatable laptops does not include the ThinkPad R40 Celeron

Thanks Jerry, I'll look into the BIOS and see if I can get some clues... An IBM card is (obviously) going to be more expensive because of the name but I want to make sure that I get something that works...

Reply to
Tracy

It was the 31P9701 I was origionally looking at (I just fat fingered the 7 in there somehow...) I have been looking at the 2200bg cards since I origionaly posted and your right, I doubt that I will need .11a. Added with the fact that b/g caeds are about half the price I'll probably go that route. I just hate to spend a dollar before I know that it's going to work

Reply to
Tracy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.