I need help configuring my wireless (DLINK and NETGEAR)

Hello all!

I'm in a bit of trouble with my new wireless. The house has a netgear router and I have a DLink DWL-G630 wireless card on my laptop. Now one computer (my landlord's) is connected with the ethernet cable to the router and works fine. A second laptop has an inbuilt wireless and works fine. Now the only one that doesn't work is the laptop with the external card.

I got it halfway working before by assigning a static IP (the one from the computer with the ethernet cable) in my wireless settings. The link-light was on and it showed the connection was there and excellent. I also unticked the box 'let windows configure the wireless network' or something like that in the properties box.

So, it showed the connection and all but the browser wouldn't open and msn wouldn't start etc. Msn recognised the connection and tried to log in but failed. When I clicked on troubleshoot (on msn) it showed a problem with the default gateway. I could also not access the router with its ip address. Unfortunately I went to fiddle around in the settings of the card and lost the whole connection. I uninstalled and installed again but now I can't seem to get it to work at all.

So I'm a bit confused. Can anyone help me? I would call Dlink but they threaten to charge me 40 dollars for any assistance and quite fankly at the moment I cannot afford it. I had one of these cards before (different brand) and it worked fine. Unfortunately I lost it travelling.

I'm not very good at networking and stuff (duh) but I'm not completely hopeless when it comes to computers. The router is also not mine so I'd rather not change the settings on that because it works for the other computers. I apreciate any help that anyone can offer. Thanks in advance!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
OZSophie
Loading thread data ...

Here is a link to dlink's area for DWL-G630

formatting link
Determine which revision you own and it will provide you step by step instuctions on how to load the software as well as troubleshooting tips. I have the usb version and I notice that when I tried to use it with my netgear router that I had similar issues. I had to use a dlink router instead. You may need to take it back to the store since it is a new purchase and buy the netgear version.

Good luck.

Reply to
Eugene Maes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.