I need dual bank recommendation

and commonly found in many consumer routers, even some cheapos.

using a cellular data stick is for a fallback.

it would never be used unless the main connection fails, which is generally very rare.

for most routers, no script is needed. just a couple of clicks.

Reply to
nospam
Loading thread data ...

YYYY-MM-DD

Reply to
Neill Massello

On 6/13/19 3:22 AM, T wrote: <snip>

It's always one step forward and two steps back for them. The new AC UI

8.x is horrific.

On the M class gear (firmware 6.x) you get a separate page for a lot of stuff. Site survey for example. I'll run a survey, print it out, and cross check it with available frequencies on a cheat sheet I made that has all of them in 5 mhz steps.. Makes it super simple.. Low tech as it were.. But I can do it while sitting on the couch..

With the new javascript-hell UI on 8.x you can't do that.. The site survey is simply a javascript overlay and you cannot detach it to print or even screenshot if the list requires scrolling.

The moment Cambium gets their UI just a tad more polished, develops a decent network monitor, and stops doing ultra-retarded crap like hard-coding usernames, I'll tell Ubiquiti exactly where they can cram it.

(yeah, they actually hard-code the username of ADMIN into the firmware.. You can't change it.. Their security guy needs to be fired and then sued for gross incompetence)

Reply to
Johann Beretta

I have an ISP-supplied gateway router here that has both the admin username and the password hardcoded. (Printed on a sticker on the side of the unit, with no way to change either field.) With such a lighthearted approach to security, I'm not sure why they didn't take the extra step and make the whole thing accessible from the Internet by default? :-/

Reply to
Char Jackson

they probably did, so they can check its status, push firmware updates, access it for tech support issues, find out how many devices are being used, etc.

customers who use a verizon provided router can log onto the verizon web site and see not just their wifi ssid name, but the password too, as a 'convenience' in case the customer forgets either or both.

i would be surprised if that router didn't also send the admin password.

verizon customers should use their own router, ideally replacing the provided router, but if that's not possible, in line.

Verizon Actiontec Routers have a web server listening to this port. Verizon FiOS uses it for "secure server connection to automatically monitor/upgrade the router firmware when connected to the FiOS network using a MOTIVE server connection on port 4567". The firmware shipped with Verizon's CPE does not allow port 4567 to be blocked easily.

Guy accessed remote administration port 4567 on my router. Thanks, Verizon! ... From what I've been reading all he needed to get in was the router's ethernet MAC address and some administrator password that's supposedly available online. Is this correct?

Reply to
nospam

Convenience usually wins over security.

In the dark ages of conglomerated modem, router, switch, and wireless, AT&T started out by putting a label under the base of their units with the login and password inscribed. Extra credit for making the label difficult to remove. None of their customers could find it, but all the hackers had no problem. AT&T eventually moved the label to side of the box, where customers would have no problem finding it. As an added security measure, they also included a 10 digit "modem access code" for making configuration changes. This was also printed on the label. Customer could now find the login and password, but rarely succeeded in typing the modem access code in fewer than five attempts. The latest AT&T U-Verse "univeral" box now has the modem access code in ASCII, with upper case, lower case, numbers, punctuation marks, and symbols thus making it both impossible to type, but also impossible to read over the telephone. (What's an octothorpe)? The label now contains only the wireless SSID, wireless password, and modem access code in very large letters. Unfortunately, the router IP address, login, passwords, MAC address and such are printed on the modem in dull gray on a black background the smallest possible font.

Enter Comcast, who initially inscribed their login and password on a bright yellow sticker attached to the sides of their gateway boxes. This was convenient for both user and the hacker. However, noticing that AT&T was making their boxes more secure by hiding the label under the box, Comcast followed suit. Despite the larger Comcast gateway boxes, Comcast used a tiny label with a very thin letters in a tiny size font that required a magnifier to read. This improvement graduated to a complaint, so Comcast moved the label to the back of the gateway, where it could be buried and hidden under the usual clutter of wires and cables. At one point, Comcast actually did it right with the setup information on a big yellow label on the side, and passwords on a much smaller label on the bottom. However, that didn't last. I'm not sure of the current location and visibility of the Comcast gateway logins and passwords.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
<snip>

Well, I suspect the worry isn't someone locally reading it. Assuming the username/password are unique to the device, that's at least better than hard-coding in a field that is non-unique and accessible to the internet.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Are you talking 2m and 70cm because there are plenty on ebay.

Reply to
Lucifer

I understand. But unless your router has some way of notifying you that it has switched to the cellular stick, how are you going to know? If you don't know, and you like internet videos, you'll end up chewing through en entire month's data allotment in short order..

Reply to
Johann Beretta

it's a rare event, so that doesn't matter. people who set it up *need* the backup connection.

however, they would definitely be aware of it because existing connections would drop, overall speed will change and the router will send a notification if configured to do so.

Reply to
nospam

When you change the route to the internet, you're public WAN IP address will also change. There are programs that monitor this IP address and report any changes:

formatting link
I use a similar script to monitor the route when using load balancing routers.

Or, you could use Google search to report public IP address:

formatting link

I beg to differ. About 25 years ago, I had a medical billing service with about 75 desktops running on a single T1 (1.544Mbits/sec) line. It worked because everything was text based with no graphics. The main router to the internet was setup to fall back to ISDN (128Kbits/sec) if something died on the T1. As I recall, the router was in fallback mode for something like 6 weeks before anyone complained about a speed problem.

I've had similar incidents since then, but with somewhat shorter delays. A few years ago, another customer sent me email asking me to turn off the SNMP alarms that were coming from the main router because it was flooding his mailbox with identical messages. All the identical messages were that the router was using the fallback route to the internet. My guess is it like that for about 5 days.

I do better when someone is monitoring network traffic using a graphing tool, such at MRTG or RRDtool.

formatting link
I don't ask users to analyze what's happening. Just tell me that the graphs have changed drastically, and I'll determine what has changed and might be broken. Notifications, alarms, and email messages are useful for occasional failures. However, they're useless for anything that is repetitive. See "Chicken Little" (the sky is falling) for how it doesn't work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

that was 25 years ago, in an era where few people used a lot of bandwidth. there was no youtube, netflix or graphic intensive web sites.

today, people will notice.

when 5g becomes prevalent (which will be a while), *it* will become the main source of internet, with wired as a fallback, the opposite of how it is now.

in other words, it *did* notify users.

there's not much anyone can do if they ignore the messages.

Reply to
nospam
[snip]

And better latency (for 5G) too, something that can be more important.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Really? Latency is the round trip delay. The speed of light is 5.4 microseconds per mile. Right now 10 milliseconds is considered decent performance for things like VoIP. The customers most interested in that technology are brokerage houses that do algorithmic trading, where having a buy or sell order arrive a few microseconds before the competition is worth many dollars.

For 10 msec, the maximum distance would be: 10*10^-3 sec / 5.4*10-6 sec/mile = 1,850 miles round trip or: 1,850 / 2 = 925 miles one way. However, data does not travel at the speed of light. Propagation delay in coax, fiber, RF vary, so I'll be arbitrary and use the velocity factor of coax cable at 0.7. 925 miles * 0.7 = 648 miles There are also large delays in network boxes such as routers, bridges, switches, NSA sniffers, web caches, etc. I'll again be arbitrary and give it another 0.7. 648 miles * 0.7 = 454 miles.

So, if the 5G user really wants low latency, the longest distance between the trader and the brokerage servers will be about 454 miles. Since much of the algorithmic trading is done across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, it's unlikely that the 1500 ft maximum range of the 5G

24-38GHz microwave link is going to make much difference.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
<snip>

Of course it matters. I can't believe you said that. Some cellular plans have penalties for "excess usage" that are horrific. I think AT&T (for example only) charges $10/GB after your allotment is used up.

Your second statement is pure speculation. A clean (5 bar) 4G connection may provide an equal speed to a customers home connection. Furthermore, the cut-over could happen at a moment when the customer is not actively pulling data. It would appear to be seamless.

My statement specifically said "unless your router can notify you"

Reply to
Johann Beretta

don't use such a plan for backup.

the point you're missing is that some businesses *need* a backup connection. the cost of being offline is *more* expensive than a cell plan with overages.

no.

not usually, and it depends on what the connection speed is.

good luck getting anything remotely close to sustained gigabit on 4g.

cell backup is *far* more likely to be used in a *business* setting, not a home setting. home users don't need redundant internet connectivity. facebook can wait.

as i said, businesses often *need* redundancy because the cost of being offline can be *very* expensive. plus, they usually have *much* faster connections than home users.

and real world lte speeds aren't particularly fast either.

typical 4g speeds are 30-50 mbit, which is not that fast:

home connection speeds are generally faster than that, sometimes *much* faster. verizon is offering gigabit for $80/mo:

they'll notice when they start using it again.

just about all of them with dual-wan fallback will do that.

Reply to
nospam
[snip]

That's MUCH faster than a connection that is down.

[snip]
Reply to
Sam E

and slower than when it's up, and users will notice the change.

Reply to
nospam

It's not speculation. It's fact. The "average" home user has less than

20 megabits. High speed connections are the domain of the city folk. At best, 1% of people in the United States have a gigabit connection. This isn't speculation.
formatting link

Well yeah.. It's not a gigabit protocol. I've never seen anything faster than 50mbps out of 4G. I spent 5 years upgrading AT&T cell sites to 4G as a direct employee.

No joke.. I own an ISP. I know exactly what business users want and exactly what home users want. I provide solutions to both.

No. No they don't. This is proof you haven't a clue. The AVERAGE business in the United States is a small business. Business class connections are sold as guaranteed bandwidth. If you purchase 100mbps from Cox Cable, they _must_ provide you with 100mbps. They can't give you almost 100mbps, or 100mbps only during off-peak hours. It's guaranteed speed and unlimited usage, as the general rule.

Home users have data caps and speeds that are often nowhere near what they think they're getting. Most wording for home internet is "Up to XX megabits per second!" or "Data Limitations may apply". And sure, you might be getting 100mbps at 3:00 AM but it might drop down to 50mbps in the 6pm - 11pm time slot when everybody in your node is beating the shit out of the connection by watching GoT in 4K.

Verizon's fiber service has a data cap for f*ck's sake. Currently it's a

2TB / month. Do you have any idea how fast you can burn through that with a gigabit connection? Sure, it's unlikely you would if you're being normal.. But it certainly could happen, especially if you, for example, failed to properly password-protect your wifi connection or used an insecure protocol.

It's 50% faster than the average speed in the United States. Explain to me how a speed that is faster than what MOST people have, shouldn't be considered fast? If your car does 50mph and mine does 100mph, it's fast to YOU. It's not fast to a Formula 1 driver. But it's still fast.

No.. No they aren't. We've addressed this above. The AVERAGE connection speed is 17.1mbps, in the United States.

Can you cite any stats? I used the reasonable statement of "some", you're brushing up against "all". All I have to do is find 2 that don't and your statement is false.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

See my previous reply. I have proven almost ALL of your statements to be false.

Reply to
Johann Beretta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.