I have an interesting problem

Sorry for top posting.

So does that mean that I need to physically enter the DNS server addresses of my ISP? I don't think I had to do that with Roadrunner.

Yes, I had my laptop connected by USB to the cable modem, and the cable modem connected by ethernet to the router.

I have no problem logging into the router when I disconnect the USB. However, I cannot get onto any Internet site. I've read conflicting information on whether I need to specify MAC addresses.

When I do an ipconfig when connected to the router (with USB disconnected), I see my laptop's IP address (192.168.1.100) but no IP address information in the router's configuration menu. I simply have get the 'Obtain IP Address Automatically' option.

I never had this problem when I installed it the first time.

Reply to
Schizoid Man
Loading thread data ...

Disconnect the router from the cable modem and turn it off. Turn the cable modem off and then on (most do not have a power button so you may have to temporarily unplug it from its power supply). Then, connect the router and turn it on. Connect your computer to the router and look at the configuration screens of the router. Your router should be assigned an IP address (and Gateway and DNS addresses) by the cable modem. Also, your router should be set to obtain an IP address through DHCP. Did you ever have to clone your computer's ethernet hardware address into the cable modem?

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

No, I never had to clone the address.

Reply to
Schizoid Man

No, that's just an indicator. Some routers provide themselves as the DNS server, some provide the IP address fed to them by the ISP. If you have the ISP's addresses there, you are definitely connected. If you have your router's address, it might be a bad thing, but maybe not.

Some cable companies will "register" any MAC address. Others only accept one. If you plug some other PC into the cable modem and try to open a web page, it takes you directly to a MAC registration page. If you plug in a router, it won't let you connect to any page on the internet, although you might be able to get to the registration page if you put in the address directly.

ipconfig /all returns more information, but I don't think we care.

Did you install it, or did the cable guy do it? Maybe you did a "clone MAC" the first time, and just forgot about it. The clone Mac would go away with a hard reset of the router.

Do an ipconfig /all and note your "Physical Address". Put that value into the "advanced"-"clone mac addr" page of the Linksys.

Uhoh. I just reread what you said. You connected your PC via USB to the cable modem. That is a different setup than plugging in via ethernet, and I don't know what the equivalent MAC address would be to put in as the clone.

Perhaps you can see it in the cable modem configuration page, which should be visible at http://192.168.100.1 Look for "known addresses".

Maybe you should just call your friendly cable modem ISP support desk. When I told them that I was going to add a router, they offered to do the authorization of the new MAC for me. I chose the "clone" process instead.

Reply to
dold

I solved the problem by hard connecting another laptop into the router and using Linksys's own configuration utility.

With 64-bit WEP enabled, I clocked just north of 3000 kbps on the CNet Bandwidth Meter. I wonder whether it will be much faster with WPA compression instead.

Reply to
Schizoid Man

Schizoid Man

Connect the Laptop to the router via ethernet and reset the WEP encryption phrase! WEP is only used for the wireless connection.

Sandwalker

Reply to
sandwalker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.