i can't figure out why my download speed fluctuates very dramatically????

ok here is my problem.... i have a Linksys WUSB54G ver. 4 usb network adapter, the Linksys WRT54GX2 wireless router and a D-Link DWL-G710 range extender. all used to work excellent until a few days ago. i lost connection and couldn't remotely connect to the router like i used to so i hit the old reset button and started all over. i re did my security settings just in case. after re doing everything again, everything seemed back to usual and running great. signal and link strength shows excellent so no problem there. i also have all the latest updates and firmware for everything. sure, every now & then, i'll get a cannot connect to the internet with the linksys adapter monitor software but besides that all seems to be great.

that is, till i start to download a file no matter what size or stream a video again, no matter the size. what happens is my speed will start off super great then it will drop dramatically till it reaches zero then after a few seconds go up in speed then drop to zero. this happens with any application i use. doesn't matter if i use get right (download manager) or internet explorer for files, wmp to stream videos, or any media player to stream videos. i've ran the netcheck at the linksys site (which took almost 5 minutes to download) and it tells me 'everything seems configured correctly & no problems detected. i've also tried using Windows XP netdiag tools to check my settings and it also finds nothing.

what could be causing my speed to increase and decrease so dramatically? mind you at all times it shows excellent strength. has anybody had this problem or can anybody help me please? i thought it was maybe because i'm using IE 7 but all my networked computers are doing the same thing.

Reply to
kreepz86
Loading thread data ...

| what could be causing my speed to increase and decrease so | dramatically? mind you at all times it shows excellent strength. has | anybody had this problem or can anybody help me please? i thought it | was maybe because i'm using IE 7 but all my networked computers are | doing the same thing.

Have you tried changing to another channel?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

(...)

Are all your other networked computers connected via wireless? If so, do they all use a WUSB54G?

The most likely culprit is RF interference from another Wi-Fi system. Try a different channel (1, 6, or 11) on the WRT54GX2 router. See: |

formatting link
a list of likely sources. The growing number of high xmit power municipal wireless networks seems to be the main culprit in this area.

It's also possible that your DWL-G710 repeater is failing. Try running your network without it and see what happens.

I'm also rather surprised that a DLink repeater works in an all Linksys wireless network. Are you sure it worked before, or were you perhaps inadvertently bypassing the repeater and going directly to the router?

Since all the computers seem to have the same problem, it's possible that the router or the internet connection might be a problem. Try a direct wired ethernet connection from one of the computers to the router and see if downloading is still a problem.

Also, you might want to look into why the shift key on your keyboard is intermittent. If handicapped, try the "sticky keys" feature of the "Accessibility Options" in the XP Control Panel.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:50:13 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Now Jeff, that should be "keyboard challenged". ;)

Reply to
John Navas

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:35:55 GMT John Navas wrote: | On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:50:13 -0700, Jeff Liebermann | wrote in | : | |>Also, you might want to look into why the shift key on your keyboard |>is intermittent. If handicapped, try the "sticky keys" feature of the |>"Accessibility Options" in the XP Control Panel. | | Now Jeff, that should be "keyboard challenged". ;)

He did upper case the model IDs, and even "XP". So I think his challenge is in a different area. Either that, or he's a Republic of Georgia expat protesting the sillyness of having letter cases in western languages :-) Georgian has no cases. Its unique alphabet actually looks pretty, but I don't know if that makes it easy to read. I do know that all lower case English is a lot easier to read that all upper case English (despite my many years working with IBM mainframes way back when).

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

If both wireless and wired PCs show the same problem then try to remove splitter / filter unit and connect dsl line directly to router.

if still not working.

contact your telephone service provider and ask them to apply hard reset on your dsl line ( I don't know if this is applicable in your area but usually phone company have access to that).

I was thinking about the second solution because the problem started after disconnection which could be a telecom fault that may need re-setting from their side to release your active session that time.

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

thanks all for your guys help & advice! it's really appreciated a lot. ok now to answer all your questions, i'll go in order of your replies.

phil howard, changing channels is the one thing i haven't tried so that may be a resolution to my problem. i'll give it a try & let you know if that worked. again, thanks!

jeff liebermann, two are connected with the wusb54bg usb wireless adapters, one with a d-link dwl-g510 wireless apadter, and the the other two are laptops. as for trying a different channel, i'm gonna give it a try to see if that maybe the problem.

you also recommended that i try connecting without the repeater and i have tried that and got the exact same results. i've never had problems by mixing the two brands. as a matter of fact, i had a d-link router before the linksys and that router only lasted maybe a week before i exchanged it for the linksys router. i had way to many connection problems with the d-link router that you wouldn't believe! if changing channels don't work, i'll try connecting my computer directly to see if it still does the same thing.

aljuhani, if all else fails, i shall try what you have suggested and see if that could be the problem and if i get no results, i shall finally have to contact my isp and see if they can hard reset the dsl line or see what they may think could be the problem. thanks

these are some suggestions, i will try and let you guys know if how it went. i can't thank you guys enough.

aljuhani wrote:

Reply to
kreepz86

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.