I can not connect to Internet through my wireless netowrk

Hello every body

I have a wireless network in my home with 3 computers

two of them can connect to the wireless network and can open internet websites

The third computer can connect to the network but can not open internet websites

Can any body help me please?

Reply to
Lara
Loading thread data ...

What O/S are you using?

What IP does the computer have when you go to the DOS Command Prompt and enter IPCONFIG /all ?

If the computer has the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP, then it doesn't have an IP, from what I'll assume is a wireless router, that's going to let the computer access the Internet, like the other ones, which may be due to some kind of mis-configuration. with the wireless or something may be defective.

If you use a wire connection with the machine, can it access the Internet?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I have 2 desktop an 1 laptop. The laptop and 1 of the desktop can connect to wireless router (2WIRE). BUt one of the desk top cannot.

The one that cannot is on VIsta and the ones that work are on XP. DOn't know if this is the issue.

I have hooked up the one that doesnot work before on directly into the modem and it works but just not on wireless.

The network adapters is a BRoadcom 802.11g, intel (R) 82562V-2 10/100 network connection.

The router is set up on WEP.

The computer shows the wireless network but it just cannot connect to it.

THe message is " Wireless association failed beacuse windows did not recieve any response from the wireless router ot access point.

PLEASE HELP!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
tko

Any particular model 2wire router? Check the advanced admin page to see if there are any firmware updates available.

Yep. It's Vista.

You should be using WPA-PSK (or WPA-personal) if your unspecified model 2wire router supports it. Current firmware versions all support WPA.

There are problems with the Vista DHCP client and some routers. This was covered here in the past and can be found using Google Groups search for "Vista DHCP". See:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

cannot.[/COLOR] Any particular model 2wire router? Check the advanced admin page to see if there are any firmware updates available.

It is a 2wire HG-E, I checked for updates and there is none.

Yep. It's Vista.

Thanks for the link

You should be using WPA-PSK (or WPA-personal) if your unspecified model 2wire router supports it. Current firmware versions all support WPA.

I changed to WPA-PSK and the wireless did not work. I reset the modem and put it on OPEN. (no security)

I got a friend to come by and he got connected it was not finding the IP address previously, so in Inernet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) he mapped it to the ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway.

This seemed to get me connected to the web BUT the connection is very slow and freezes.

There are problems with the Vista DHCP client and some routers. This was covered here in the past and can be found using Google Groups search for "Vista DHCP". See:

-- # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060 # 831-336-2558 snipped-for-privacy@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us # 'Jeff Liebermann 802.11 Junk'

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com #
formatting link
AE6KS

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
tko

There are some numbers before the HG-E. See:

It should be on the serial number tag.

OK, it's probably a Vista DHCP problem.

WPA-PSK (or WPA-Personal) should work. However, I'm seeing rumblings of similar problem with Vista and WPA-PSK in various mailing lists. I don't know if this is for real as the person complaining usually doesn't supply enough information to be certain. Since WEP is one big security hole, you're only real option for security is WPA or WPA2. Try it again, this time with a useable error message or description.

In other words, we setup a static IP address for your Vista laptop. That will work but you will have problem if you take the laptop to a different wireless system such as a hot spot or skool. I would make the effort to apply the Vista DHCP fixed I supplied and use DHCP.

Different problem. Are the other computers also slow? What happens when you connect to your unspecified model 2wire router with a CAT5 ethernet cable? Is that also slow? How slow? Got numbers? In both directions? It might be that your Vista laptop is finally connected to the internet and is furiously downloading updates from Microsloth and other vendors. Check the flashing lights on the router to be sure.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I am now connected to the router with excellent (4 bars) connection but internet does not work, it just hangs there...

formatting link

Reply to
tko

tko hath wroth:

Check your ISP settings on the "Broadband" page in the 2wire router. This page:

If it's AT&T, you'll need to add your PPPoE login and password.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.