HP ze2000 versus Intel 2200bg miniPCI card

I buy a slightly used HP ze2000 (ze2309nr) laptop with AMD Sempiron processor. |

formatting link
the greatest or bestest, but it was cheap and good enough.

However, it came with a Broadcom BCM94318MPG MiniPCI wireless card which doesn't work with Kismet on Knoppix (unless I do battle with NDISwrapper). So, I pull an Intel Pro2200BG wireless card off the shelf, replace the Broadcom card, boot the laptop, and am instantly greeted with: "104 unsuported wireless network device detected, system halted, remove device and restart" Wonderful. Another thrilling evening of maximum effort for little benifit coming up. Grrrrr...

Updating the BIOS did nothing.

My first thought is that this is a conspiracy precipitated by AMD. We can't have an Intel chip in the same box as an AMD cpu. Perhaps HP learned this from IBM, which limits miniPCI wireless cards to only approved cards on some models. However, that's probably not the reason.

I did find a workaround, which is not very appealing: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
Atheros cards are also "unsupported".

Duz anyone have any better or easier ideas how to either convince the HP BIOS to accept an Intel or Atheros card?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Apparently, Atheros cards are also "unsupported".

formatting link
scroll down to see suggestions, there's a guy who might be able to assist..........

Reply to
StsAlive

"StsAlive" hath wroth:

formatting link
> Apparently, Atheros cards are also "unsupported".

Been there, done that. The experts-exchange.com article points back to the two articles I previously posted. Thanks.

More of the same:

formatting link
like I'll have to do this to get it to work.

Apparently, the officially supported "HPQ 2200 mPCI 3B" version of the Intel 2200BG card is $114 plus shipping, while the same card can be found elsewhere for about $30. The Intel Proset wireless drivers (3 versions out of date) on the HP ze2309nr download page include Intel

2200BG miniPCI cards, so one would think that the 2200BG is a supported card.
formatting link
I'm going to try rolling back the BIOS to previous versions and see if the problem evaporates. Apparently, that works for other model HP laptops. What a huge waste of time...
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.