Hp 4170 Pavillion; How do I install new wireless card?

Okay, HP sent me a new wireless card because of problems I'm having with the wireless indicator light. They did this under warrannty. I'm suprized that they sent it to merather than ask me to send it back to them. The guy described where it is. He said it was under a panel that had one screw This sort of coincides with what Jeff told me; near the corner near the hinge. I opened that panel and found a copper heat sink and under it was the processor. I stil am at a los for where the hel is the wiress card. I was really uncomfortable mucking with the intel processor. M

Reply to
mstrspy
Loading thread data ...

Unless of course the card that I saw under that panel was i n fact the wireles card. The card said 1.73 Intel (or something to that effect and that is what I have, a 1.73 G Hz Centrino. Any help is is geatly appreciated. I can call HP again but it will take hoursto get the right answer. M

Reply to
mstrspy

Hi,

I don't own this laptop, but I searched on the HP website and found a "maintenance and service guide" PDF that may be of use to you (link below). Section 5.8 (page 122) might be what you need.

formatting link
Good luck.

- Chuck

Reply to
Chuck G.

Go to

formatting link
and download a copy of the Maintenance and Service Guide for your notebook. Look for the wireless mini PCI compartment in the guide.

Or here's the whole secret:

formatting link
at pages 1-24 and 1-25.

Reply to
Plan9

Reply to
mstrspy

Thanks, I found the manual. My next question is how much damage did I do by removing the heat sink and reinstalling without cleaning and reinstalling thermal paste. If it blows up, as far as I'm concerned, it is HP's fault for insructing meto remove the wrong panel. Te sent me a card with no instructions, just remove the panel with one screw. They were wrong.

M
Reply to
mstrspy

I lied. That's the CPU. Unfortunately, of the two doors on the bottom of the laptop, HP put the CPU in the corner instead of the MiniPCI card as I previously indicated. Sorry.

Close that cover and unscrew the large panel next to the bar coded serial number tag. It should have the MiniPCI card and memory underneath.

formatting link
Table 1-11.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I haven't used thermal paste in a long time and I'd really have to look at it to give you a good answer, but I'd say that you might be OK if the paste was still gooey. If it was dry and cracked, then it probably should be cleaned off and reapplied. From my experience with notebooks, they need all of the cooling help that they can get. Hopefully someone else here can give you a better answer.

- Chuck

Reply to
Chuck G.

Actually I didn't realize ther was any paste at all. Wasn't sticky. I'm going to bet that it will be okay. The whole assembly seems to get compressed when I screwed dont the heat sink.

I'm still going to bitch at HP for giving me a bum stear. May e they will send me some thermal paste to reistal the thing properly. M

Reply to
mstrspy

Learn by Destroying(tm).

There's an art to applying the thermal grease. The trick is to use as little as possible and only use it to fill in the gouges, roughness, and scratches in the metal. Wipe the excess silicon grease from both the CPU and the heatsink with a rag. Towel paper will work if it doesn't spew any lint. Use alcohol if it's slightly hardened.

If you don't have any silicon grease available (Radio Shock carries it), try to re-use some of the excess that was already on the CPU. You may need to loosen it with a little alcohol. I don't recommend re-using silicon grease as dirt and dust in the grease causes big problems. However, as this is a new laptop, you might be able to get away with it if the grease is clean. Still, I strongly suggest you get some clean silicon grease heat sink compound.

Put a very small amount of silicon grease on one finger tip and smear it on both the heatsink and CPU. Use as little as possible. Don't worry about slopping some over the edge of the CPU. You should be able to see the heatsink metal through the layer of silicon grease. A blob about the size of "BB" shot is about twice too much.

Now, wipe the excess from your fingers or you will have white greasy spots on your new laptop. Use alcohol to cleanup. Keep the alcohol away from the plastic parts and labels or they will be trashed. Wash your hands or the alcohol on your fingertips may ruin the keyboard screening.

Put the CPU back and fasten the retaining clips or screws. Close lid. You're done.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.