HOWTO Batbox a WRT54G v4 hardware (and safely turn boot_wait=on)

HOWTO Batbox a WRT54G v4 hardware (and safely turn boot_wait=on)

First off, here's the standard disclaimer. Anything you do here is at your own risk & peril. This is for your education from my personal experience.

Before all the WRT54G v4 boxes leave the shelves (to be replace the same physical insides but re-branded WRT54GL) I headed over to Wally World and grabbed another for $50. Don't forget make sure the serial number on the box bottom does NOT start with CDFB* (v5 hardware).

Now having 2 stock WRT54G v4, I thought I should provide a HOWTO Batbox your WRT54G v4 and post some related reference articles for those tinkering with their WRT54G. Unfortunately, the BB is not letting me attach them as text or even zipped up. I'll try posting them again shortly.

Reference: WRT54G v4 stock NVRAM Settings Reference: WRT54G v4 stock file listings

First of all. Even if you decide not to apply any 3rd party firmware ... Please consider running the Batbox distro and set your "boot_wait=on". This will CYA from other issues you can't even dream of, like static discharge scrambling, etc. It's really silly Linksys didn't turn this on by default for its customers. Read on for the simple details on how to do this.

I titled this "(and safely turn boot_wait=on)" because to enable this feature, other 3rd party firmware overwrite your existing firmware which violates your warranty. Personally, I'm cautionary. Doing my research and not quite ready to potentially brick my first WRT54G v4, I've decide to use the Batbox distro. It is strictly RAM based. If you loose power or updated with Official firmware, you have to re-run the wrt54g.sh - every time. A small inconvenience for safety.

There should be plenty of info the Batbox distro being one of the oldest. This is straight walk-thru for those using Cygwin. Those using a *nix (including Mac OS X), your mileage should be similar - make the Cygwin parts relative to your needs.

BTW, there is a couple of Cygwin requirements. You need to install ttcp and wget (curl could also replace wget).

1. Go download the Batbox from
    formatting link
    you want a bit of detail, read over
    formatting link
  2. Expand the wrt54g-0.6.tar.gz

1. Optional, but recommended, read the README, INSTALL and the FAQ.txt

- particularly those using a *nix or Mac box.

1. We have to make two edits to the wrt54g.sh. One for using Cygwin/*nix to use wget. The other for using a WRT54G v4 since the WAN & LAN assignments have changed. (If you aren't using 192.168.1.1, you should also edit line 5)

4.a. Uncomment line 64 & 65. (If using curl, uncomment 68 & 69. I didn't use curl so reply to the is post to help out others): ### PROGRAM="wget --quiet --http-user=$USER --http-passwd=$PASSWORD"EXTRA="" ###

4.b. Now edit the wrt54g.sh for the WRT54G v4. Make a backup before you edit. NOTE: eth0 is now the WAN

4.b.1. copy line 257 twice ( # iptables -A INPUT -j DROP -i eth1

--protocol tcp --destination-port 23 )

4.b.2. uncomment the new lines and change "-i eth1" to "-i eth0" in both 4.b.3. change one of the lines so the --destination-port from "23" to "8000". NOTE: Batbox will start a httpd on port 8000 that is without any security or SSL layer. To stop that you either need to drop or reject port 8000 on eth0.

It should look like this: ### # iptables -A INPUT -j DROP -i eth1 --protocol tcp --destination-port

23 iptables -A INPUT -j DROP -i eth0 --protocol tcp --destination-port 23 iptables -A INPUT -j DROP -i eth0 --protocol tcp --destination-port 8000 ###

4.b.4. If you will be using the Batbox telnet and http access over the wireless connection, you'll need to comment out ( ie. "#") what was lines 260 through 264 as WLAN is not part of the LAN group. Also, to settle your nerves, the -j REJECT lines are not needed since your two new lines -j DROP anything for those ports - so I commented them out anyway.

1. We're around half way done. All the work to this point is just making everything custom for your box.

1. Plug in all the network cabling. It's best to do it wired the first time. Also, your WRT54G must first have had a WAN connection before the BatBox load will work. It doesn't matter how; it just needs to be "active".

2. Open a Cygwin terminal.
  3. Copy the /bin/ttcp.exe to your directory with your wrt54g.sh custom script.
  4. Run your copy of the wrt54g.sh script: ./wrt54g.sh adminpassword

REMEMBER: It must first have had a WAN connection before the BatBox load will work. Otherwise you get the ### ttcp-t: connect: Connection refused errno=111 ttcp error, status is 1 ###

1. If successful, you should see this: ### $ ./wrt54g.sh Router Password? admin

Installing to 192.168.1.1 Making copy of receive tool Starting receive tool Sending bootstrap ttcp-t: socket ttcp-t: connect Sending busybox ttcp-t: socket ttcp-t: connect Sending distro.tar ttcp-t: socket ttcp-t: connect Complete

You may now telnet to 192.168.1.1 You can connect a browser to http://192.168.1.1:8000/###

NOTE: If you change your settings to disable via HTTP (and only use HTTPS) it could kill the busybox webserver.

1. Telnet in to 192.168.1.1. It's time to protect ourselves by turning on boot_wait. Issue the following commands to validate you have boot_wait turned on. Without out it, any freak accident or firmware hacking you do could "brick" your WRT54G: === nvram get boot_wait #( if OFF, continue the following steps ) nvram set boot_wait=on nvram get boot_wait #( it should be set ON now ) nvram commit nvram get boot_wait #( one more time for comfort)

1. Sit back, look around, and "Have a coke and a smile" - for yourself & Richard Pryor (We'll be missing you.)

Now you can start thinking of ways to enhance or mod your Batbox distro. Things like busybox/hush shell CGI scripts.

Maybe you may want to read: The docs on how to upload dropbear for SSH/SFTP and others found in the wrt54g-0.6/options directory of the archive.

formatting link
- using Snort for Batbox
formatting link
- offers NoCatSplash for Batbox

Over the holiday break, I'm hoping to get started on gathering several open source distro's sources for similar devices, and building additional utils for my WRT54G Batbox. I don't want to cram the world in it, just the tools I need on demand. BTW, it was mentioned in the Batbox docs & site somewhere that NFS is currently broken. A mountable remote filesystem is one of the first goals that should be achieved.

Later, Markus.

Reply to
MarksAcct
Loading thread data ...

One where they snip long posts?

;-)

Reply to
Shawk

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Errm, yeah right. Thanks for sharing that. BTW: Which planet are you calling from?

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Any chance you could explain what boot_wait does for us, and why we should do it?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Shawk wrote: ..

Actually, I wish he'd shared this long ago (if I'm following the implications). I'm using an Asus WL-330g as a wireless, 802.11b, wi-fi ethernet adapter. Sure, I can connect the WL-330g into a switch, and then several computers into that switch and everything works fine -- providing it's a pure windows environment.

The Linksys device is comparably priced with better capabilities, once hacked. Of course, the Linksys one is a bit heavier and clunkier, but superior all around.

-Thufir

Reply to
hawat.thufir

Normally, if you need to update the Linksys Firmware, you have to use the built-in Admin page (or try to use the shotty Linksys TFTP.exe.) Most 3rd party firmware offer their own built-in Admin page for a firmware upload or require boot_wait=on

When your WRT54G is powered up, it runs a bootloader just like any computer. The WRT54G uses one called PMON. PMON starts the boot process immediately. If boot_wait=on, PMON will wait a few seconds and look for your TFTP server - if found, it will immediately download the available firmware. (This is the simple explaination, there's several things to set up so it won't just go download just any old file via TFTP.

So, if there's any kind of corruption updating with official Linksys or

3rd party firmware, you can still recover. I bricked my Linksys single port router (years ago) due to a corrupted firmware update. Being out of warrenty, I then had to replace it with a more expensive (back then) 4 port router. I want to make sure everyone learned from my misfortune.

formatting link
and
formatting link
has info all the dirt on recovering firmware upload - search for "boot_wait".

Later, Markus.

Reply to
MarksAcct

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.