how to switch between wifi and cable?

So I have a laptop that has to be connected to a network. Depending on circomstances the network has either wifi or cable . But changing is a real pain as browsers do not swich automatically. Today it's on W10 but on W7 and XP it did not work too often. On W7 and XP it sometimes helped to switch off wifi or disconnect the cable. But on W10 it does not seem to make a difference. Renewing the settings (ipconfig /release and /renew) does nor work either. Anyone can tell how to force a browser to use the resource wanted?

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter
Loading thread data ...

Read about "route metrics". The value (or rather cost) of the metric determines the cheapest route to the internet. Here's a bad example from my machine:

It's a bad example because I have two routes (ethernet and wi-fi) both going to the same wireless router, making it difficult to distinguish between them.

Windoze has a feature called "automatic metric" that is suppose to deal with selecting the preferred route: "An explanation of the Automatic Metric feature for IPv4 routes" The problem is that ethernet and wi-fi have the same metric value.

You can change the metric value from the CMD line to select your favorite route. "Forcing Windows 7 to use wired when available"

However, I'm lazy. I just go to the wi-fi adapter icon buried somewhere in the control panel, right click, and enable/disable as required.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.