How to stop weak signal dropping ?

I have a new Vista laptop, and a weak (24%) wireless signal. However, it never drops the link.

I have an old XP SP3 box that does. It connects but drops within a minute or so, then reconnects again. This happens almost every 60 to 90 seconds. The system is fine, on a stronger signal it does not drop out. I use a Hawking high gain dish. I know the signal is low, but the connection is held OK on the Vista laptop. Is there a way to get XP to hold onto weak signals better? Thanks

Reply to
Juan Kerr
Loading thread data ...

Are you comparing these two computers in the same location, or are they located in different parts of the building?

If the "Hawkings High Gain Dish" happens to have an internal USB adapter, and the the settings for this USB adapter has some control over when to go scanning for a new association, it might be possible. This feature appears in Intel Proset utilities and probably some other wireless client managers. A model number for your "Hawkings High Gain Dish" would be helpful. If it's just an antenna, then the model number of the wireless card in your "old XP SP3 box" would also be helpful.

In addition, your unspecified model wireless router may have a channel selection setting that defaults to "AUTO". Instead of staying on a fixed channel, it scans around looking for an empty channel when the system isn't busy or gets too many errors. It might be that your "old XP SP3 box" is generating more errors than the Vista laptop, thus inspiring the unspecified model wireless router to go hunting for a clear channel much earlier. You can tell if this is the problem by watching the connection properties to see what channel you're using. If it changes every time you disconnect, fixing the channel might help. I suggest you set it to one of the three non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11) and see if it helps.

It may also be RF interference. If the "old XP SP3 box" has the antenna hanging out the window, you could easily be picking up junk from the neighbors or other WLAN systems. Same if the wireless router is located near a window. Try repositioning the various devices.

Of course, the ultimate solution would be to do whatever is necessary to get a stronger signel. If you're going through too many walls, a bigger antenna is unlikely to help. Perhaps a bigger antenna on the wireless router. Otherwise, look into Power Line (HomePlug) or Phone Line (HomePNA) networking. Or, just run CAT5 cable and be done with it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 11:06:28 -0000, "Juan Kerr" wrote in :

Is this with an internal wireless card and antenna?

Just on the XP box? Is it in the same place as the Vista box, or someplace else?

Improve the signal.

A common cause of repeatedly dropping a connection is interference. See the Fixes wiki below for things you might be able to do.

A possible solution is to use a better antenna at the wireless access point.

Reply to
John Navas

Another is to fix the link at a lower speed, if only for internet, set it to

2 x the connection speed. Use 802.11G only as this is OFDM is more resistant to interference than CCK on 802.11b
Reply to
TheDragon

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 08:03:55 +0200, "TheDragon" wrote in :

How would/could that help? It shouldn't have any effect on the wireless connection.

That might help a bit, although decent Wi-Fi products should do that automatically.

Reply to
John Navas

Won't work. It will probably make the disconnects more frequent. The problem is that the access point will usually slow down to 1Mbit/sec before it initiates a disconnect. If you fix the speed to (for example) twice cable modem speeds, you'll end up with about a

12Mbit/sec wireless speed. If it can't hold the connection at 1Mbit/sec, it certainly isn't going to work at 12Mbits/sec.

Also, we're both assuming that the problem is caused by interference of some sorts. That's quite likely, but not guaranteed. It might be that the Vista laptop is in a sheltered location, while the XP SP2 box is sitting next to a window and picking up interference from the neighborhood. Hard to tell from the limited description.

In my limited experience, interference from non-802.11 devices can cause a disconnect. Intereference from 802.11 devices do not cause a disconnect. That limits the sources of interference to one of those on this list:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry for late reply, I lost connectivity. The PC and laptop are next to each other ( irrelevant ). The Antenna is a complete stand alone WIFI unit, USB powered. The laptop onboard WIFI is disabled. It has the correct XP and Vista drivers. I use the antenna on both machines, alternating use as demands need. It is sited in direct line to the broadcast in the centre of an 8x5 window. The signal is now up to 40% on Vista, 24% on XP. The antenna is around 900 metres from the broadcaster.

The problem appears to be with the XP box as the Vista laptop has no problem in any form (a miracle, I know). XP sees the broadcast, connects and drops it if I don't use it for 30 seconds. If I do get to download anything, it does not drop it until 30 seconds or so of inactivity. There are no power options for the USB or WIFI unit to alter, and the antenna led does not go off. When XP drops the connection it instantly attempts to reconnect but takes a few seconds. There are a LOT of connection points found, but the one I need is the only one set to connect automatically in XP.

Reply to
Juan Kerr

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:32:15 -0000, "Juan Kerr" wrote in :

What's suspicious is that XP and Vista apparently report _different_ signal strength for the _same_ external USB Wi-Fi adapter. That suggests that something is running on the XP box that's interfering with the external USB Wi-Fi adapter. Is the external USB Wi-Fi adapter in _exactly_ the same position for both XP and Vista? Can you try a different XP box to see what it finds? Are you sure you've disabled _all_ radios (including Bluetooth) on the XP box? Do you have _any_ other wireless running (mice, keyboard, etc)?

Reply to
John Navas

It helped a couple of my clients connect, to a fair signal. But they kep having disconnects. Found to be as the laptop changed speed up and down, it would stop transfering data for about 30 seconds (Certainly not seamless). Not caused by a weak signal, but changing one as people moved around.

Fixing it at 6MBs sorted the issue immedialy. Its on a 2MBs ADSL line so 6MB OFDM was fine.

Agreed though, if the fault is too weak a signal, then fixing it will make matters worse.

Reply to
TheDragon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.