how to _stop_ laptop from hooking up to an AP?

've got an Asus netbook something or another running the most recent update to XP.

We've got a (T-Mobile branded) Linksys here for use as an access point. The netbook does fine when it hooks to it.

But... every so often the netbook seeks and finds the neighbor's Linksys first. Which works ok, but isn't very neighborly of me.

Oh, and their signal is "marginal" whereas ours is "good".

I can manually reset it, but I'd rather have the netbook choose ours.

(the SSIDs are different, as are the channels).

There's probably a simple setting that I'm overlooking.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

If you're using XP's Windoze Wireless Zero Config, just move your SSID to the top of the "preferred networks" list per:

If you're not using WZC, whatever client manager you're using probably has a similar "preferred" feature.

On the other foot, if I were evil, I would suspect that the SSID of Linksys implies that nothing else has been configured. Connect to the neighbors Linksys, login, turn off the wireless or otherwise disarm the monster, and offer your services to the neighbor as a wireless consultant. Being part of both the problem and the solution tends to be rather profitable.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

ahhh... exactly what I was hoping for. thanks

I did, in fact, do something similar for them a year ago.

They came by and asked for help with their (brand name) TiVo. (I had previously set them up with the 30 second "skip").

The problem, as I figured out once I brought my laptop over, was that, yes, they still had "linksys" as the SSID.

Their TiVo was hooking up to _a_ linksys, but it happened to be another neighbor's - and that one wasn't actually hooked up to the internet.

So I changed their SSID and channel... and all was good with the world.

Thanks again for the XP info.

Reply to
danny burstein

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.