How to setup wifi on a modemless connection?

Hi - Can anyone tell me how to setup my D-link router so it will work in a community, where the modem is placed in the basement and I just have an outlet in the wall? Kevin

Reply to
Dandad
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:08:56 +0100, "Dandad" wrote in :

What kind of "community"? What kind of outlet? Ethernet from the basement? AC power? What model D-Link? What firmware version? What kind of Internet connection? Wireless? This is, after all, a _wireless_ newsgroup. It's very hard to give good advice without a lot more good information.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks foir you rinterest. I live in a building where all the flats have adsl from one source in the basement. That means I have no modem to connect to - just a cable coming out of the wall with a 4 mb connection. D-link model DI-524 AC power.

"John Navas" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Dandad

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 18:27:40 +0100, "Dandad" wrote in :

Unfortunately, your wireless probably won't reach from the basement to flats overhead -- the Wi-Fi signal doesn't penetrate floors well. You could try a replacement high-gain panel antenna pointed up and/or high-gain antennas in the flats pointed down, but I'm not optimistic.

Do these flats all share the same mains power? If so, you could use powerline networking. Same for TV coax and coax networking.

p.s. In the future, please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread -- it makes the thread confusing and hard to follow. Thanks.

Reply to
John Navas

Presumably this is an ethernet socket? In which case, buy a cable-ready wireless router of some sort, and configure its WAN side identically to your existing router.

Seems fine, what happens if you plug its WAN port into the wall socket, and your PC into one of its LAN ports? Read the instruction manual for the router, or run through the config as per D-link's website. You may need to clone the MAC address of your existing router (or your PC if you have no router).

formatting link

Still no idea what you mean about "community" tho - might be worth clarifying.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

If I understand correctly, there's a single ADSL modem (and quite likely it's a modem/router combo) in the basement, so the cable coming into your flat is a standard Ethernet connection. If so, reset the router to factory defaults (known working state), verify that the Internet connection type is Automatic-DHCP, and you should be able to connect, wired and/or wireless.

Instead, if there are multiple ADSL modems in the basement, one for each flat, then set the Internet connection type in the router to PPOE and enter your username and password.

Either way, that should be about it - the Internet connection should work at that point, but it won't be secure or unique. Change the SSID, enable wireless security (WEP is broken, use a flavor of WPA if all of your equipment supports it), and change the router's password.

Reply to
Char Jackson

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 09:44:41 -0800, John Navas wrote in :

Is the cable coming out of the wall in the basement (as I first assumed) or in your flat? (This is the kind of confusion that results when you don't provide complete details.) If the latter (in your flat), then you're all set -- just cable the DI-524 to what's presumably an Ethernet outlet in your flat, set it up (unique SSID, WPA security, etc) and go. If an Ethernet cable won't fit in the wall socket, then tell us what kind of socket it is.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.