How to set up a basic point to point wireless connection

I have a converted shipping container that is serving as a writer's cabin located very close to my home. Shipping containers are metal and will not allow any wireless signal to pass.

I have a Wireless G Access Point WAP 54G set up inside my house.

I am wondering if I can buy an external antenna and connect it to the WAP 54G. Then buy another antenna and mount it ontop of the container to receive the signal.

I would like to have wireless inside the container.

How do I connect the receiving antenna (on the container) to a wireless access point (or some device that will retransmit the signal to be received by my computer).?

Please make any recommendations, including resources for me to look into.

Thanks, Arturo

Reply to
Turo
Loading thread data ...

Your access point's model name would appear to be a Linksys WAP54G.

An effective set up would be to use a Linksys WRT54G (under $60 from Walmart) as you access point at your house and the Linksys WAP54G as the remote unit at your shipping container configured as a bridge (think of a bridge as a piece of ethernet cable). Mount both of the units in a plastic box outdoors. Set both to channel one.

For the inside wireless, use another Linksys WRT54G as the "inside" access point. Set it for a different channel like channel six. Connect the ethernet cable from the WAP54G to one of the four LAN ports of the WRT54G, NOT the WAN port (labeled "Internet" on the back of the WRT54G.

Reply to
DTC

On 15 Mar 2007 23:35:30 -0700, "Turo" wrote in :

You'll need a wireless Ethernet client bridge that can use an external antenna, LMR-400 cable, and the external antenna. I recommend

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.