How to receive signal from neighbours satellite

My neighbour has wireless internet . he has a dish pointing to the water tower , which has the wireless on top of it , i want to get a signal from him , i was just wondering what equipment i would need ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
killa
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:20:44 -0500, killa wrote in :

A wireless access point with directional antenna pointed at you for the neighbor, wired to his network, and a wireless Ethernet client bridge with directional antenna pointed at the neighbor for you. If you want your own wireless, then you'll also need a wireless access point wired to your wireless Ethernet client bridge.

Reply to
John Navas

If the antenna is on a water tower, it's quite obvious it's not on a satellite, unless of course the water tower is orbiting earth. This kind of question will bring answers from lawyers and other trying to deceive you. I would read a basic text on wireless. A 15 dollar PCI card, a cantenna and a bit of cable and maybe a sniffer (wireshark ) and a cracker (airdump-ng) and you will understand things better. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

killa hath wroth:

I'll assume you want to share your neighbors internet connection and not break into what I suspect is a WISP (Wireless Internet Service Provider) system. As with all forms of wired and wireless sharing, permission of the owner is recommended. Some options:

1. If you're fairly close to the neighbor, less 100 meters wire run, then you can just run a CAT5 cable to the neighbor and plug into his router.
  2. If wire is unacceptable, you can purchase a pair of antennas, pair of wireless etherent bridges, and setup a wireless link to his router.
  3. If he has an existing wireless router to distribute his internet connection around his house, a directional antenna and wireless client bridge (any olde wireless card) will connect to his router.
  4. If you share the same AC power lines, without a transformer in between, you might be able to user power line networking (HomePlug) to connect between your house and the neighbors.
  5. If all else fails, you can ask him for the name of the WISP, duplicate his setup, and get your own account.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.