how to prevent PC from connecting to neighbour's network ?

Hi all My girlfriend's PC has a wireless router and we have a wireless LAN and its all cool. However the neighbour(very nice guy) has a wireless setup also - however the idiot who set it up for him left it wide open and my woman's pc connects to it inadvertently quite often. How can i configure my woman's PC (runs XP home) to only connect to our network and not his as he is a nice bloke on a low download limit ?

cheers Buzz

Reply to
buzz
Loading thread data ...

my woman, my woman............bwahahahahah...........what are you in the stone age.

Reply to
(!)

Or modern times...

"On average, women working in Obama's Senate office were paid at least $6,000 below the average man working for the Illinois senator. That's according to data calculated from the Report of the Secretary of the Senate, which covered the six-month period ending Sept. 30, 2007. Of the five people in Obama's Senate office who were paid $100,000 or more on an annual basis, only one -- Obama's administrative manager -- was a woman."

"McCain, an Arizona senator, employed a total of 69 people during the reporting period ending in the fall of 2007, but 23 of them were interns. Of his non-intern employees, 30 were women and 16 were men. After excluding interns, the average pay for the 30 women on McCain's staff was $59,104.51. The 16 non-intern males in McCain's office, by comparison, were paid an average of $56,628.83."

Reply to
George

I am sure the Dems are going to see this as just another indication of how free spending McCain is...

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

buzz wrote: : My girlfriend's PC has a wireless router and we have a wireless LAN : and its all cool. : However the neighbour(very nice guy) has a wireless setup also - : however the idiot who set it up for him : left it wide open and my woman's pc connects to it inadvertently quite : often. : How can i configure my woman's PC (runs XP home) to only connect to : our network and not his as he is a nice bloke on a low download : limit ?

Within "Available Wireless Networks" if you "Disconnect" from your Neighbour's Router it will switch from "Automatic" to "Manual"... Otherwise go into "Order of preferred networks" and manaully deselect "Connect when within range" on the "Connection" Tab!!!

Lawrence Houston -- ( snipped-for-privacy@greenfield.dyndns.org)

Reply to
Lawrence Houston

And how much John McCain pay you? by night or by hours?

Reply to
McGeorge

Or you could just help your poor neighbour secure his net.

Reply to
David Fairbrother

If you're using Windows XP/Vista with Windows own wireless config tools (as opposed to any vendor-supplied network utility), just set your router as the preferred network, and delete your neighbours' SSID from the list.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Actually nothing.

I was driving last week and someone was being interviewed and they mentioned the large discrepancy I noted. Some research using published public records confirms that the person was accurate. When I read the post the interview immediately came to mind.

Years of responsible jobs and personal experience tells me to never take anything at face value. From many repeated experiences the more nicely something is packaged the more likely it is flawed. What is really nice today is that so much factual information is easy to find on almost any subject so one can see the marketing version and after a little poking one can see "behind the curtain".

Reply to
George

Which makes sense, because if you don't hoe into hids download limit, someone else will.

Reply to
Fred

He is referring to his mother.

Reply to
d_musicant

1. Persuade the neighbor to secure their wireless by warning them of how dangerous it is to be insecure.

OTHERWISE

1. Configure your girlfriend's PC not to connect automatically to open networks -- see "Do Not Auto-Connect to Open Wi-Fi Networks"

IF THE NEIGHBOR'S SSID CONFLICTS WITH ONE OF HER PREFERRED NETWORKS

1. Persuade the neighbor to change the SSID to a unique value by stressing the importance of doing so.
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.