how to inquire about Linksys WAP54G wired to desktop?

Why then did you start down this trail? It's frankly annoying to spend this much time trying to help you only to have you toss in the towel instead of getting it working. Whatever.

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 00:37:25 GMT, rob wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

These settings are in the Windows Control Panel. Try hunting around in there for Network connections. I don't have a Windows PC to look at for reference right now, so I can't walk you though it. I think this will solve many of your problems. In another part of this thread you mentioned that when you changed the 15 to a 1 in the router settings that you cannot access the Internet. This is because your computer's IP address is still in the 15 range and not the 1 range. If your computer was set to get its IP address from your router, it would automatically change to that range. I think the first step to getting your network fixed is to get your computer into the mode where it gets its IP address from your router.

Reply to
Bryant Smith

Bryant, I found what you mention in Network Connections in Control Panel. It shows the same IP address as I see when doing "ipconfig /all". But how do I tell my NIC what IP address to use? Apparently it doesn't have a web server to access like the router does. But I'll keep looking around for that. Thanks.

Reply to
rob

There should be 2 radio buttons on that Control Panel Screen that allow you to choose DHCP (Obtain IP address automatically) or no DHCP (Manually set the IP Address). Click on the Obtain IP address automatically and then exit out and it should get a new IP address from the router. This doesn't solve the problem with the access point, but it might get you closer.

If your access point doesn't get its IP address from your router, you need to set your IP address so that you can see your access point. Go back to the settings page above and instead of clicking "Obtain IP Address Automatically," click the other option and change the settings to this:

IP Address: 192.168.15.102 Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.15.1

This should let you see the Internet (maybe - it depends on how DNS is set up-but don't worry about that right now), your router and your WAP54G access point. If your access point has a default setting, try that one first. If you can access it, go to the configuration and set it so its IP address is 192.168.15.11.

After you have done that, Go back a set the "Obtain IP address automatically" button on (Do the automatic DNS stuff that is below that too) and you should be set.

Good Luck

Reply to
Bryant Smith

Bryant, I'm really not sure how this came about but now I can find the access point. And, I managed to find the way to set my PC's NIC IP address by getting the properties of TCP/IP in Network Connections which you pointed out. For some reason the NIC is not obtaining automatically but has a fixed IP address of 192.168.15.102 with mask of 255.255.255.0.

This seems mysterious since I don't know how it would have gotten the right IP without getting it automatically from the DHCP in the router -- but it did.

Anyhow, now that I can get to the setup on the access point I was able to set the security to WEP which allowed me to get the wireless connection working.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Reply to
rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.