How to get the MAC address of an ANTENNA on my roof

Here's what I'm currently getting with IPCONFIG:

| >ipconfig /all | | ... | Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection: | | Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : sbx10219.sanfrca.wayport.net | Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN | Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-3B-AE-27-85 | DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes | Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes | Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d68:8de7:f73e:a364%12(Preferred) | IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.64(Preferred) | Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 | Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 05, 2010 07:47:38 | Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 05, 2010 08:47:38 | Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1 | DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 98.97.49.102 | DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218111803 | DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :

00-01-00-01-13-9A-35-DA-00-21-86-54-02-85 | DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1 | Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.1 | NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled | ...

My adapter MAC: 00-1F-3B-AE-27-85 My adapter IP: 192.168.5.64 Gateway (LAN side of the router I'm connected to): 192.168.5.1

Here's what I'm currently getting with ARP:

| >arp -a | | Interface: 192.168.5.64 --- 0xc | Internet Address Physical Address Type | 192.168.5.1 00-90-fb-1a-40-36 dynamic | 192.168.5.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static | ...

My client interface: 192.168.5.64 LAN side of router: 192.168.5.1

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

ARP reports the hardware (MAC) addresses of the network segment you are connected to. In the case of a local connection to a router, ARP reports the address of the LAN side of the router. The WAN side will often be one number away.

Reply to
John Navas

Well, given that, the first "attempt" at changing the MAC on the PC to that of the bridge on the roof failed but with interesting results.

1. I disconnected the power to the antenna (so that two devices wouldn't have the same MAC address at the same time).
  2. I changed the MAC address of the PC to 00-16-B6-32-43-26 (the WISP router on my roof).
  3. I pulled the wire of the PC so that only wireless was working, and I connected to the ISPs access point that was beaming to my antenna, but, now is beaming to the PC instead.
  4. I directed the web browser on the laptop to http://192.168.3.1 and hit return; the url changed to the following: http://192.168.4.1/login?dst=http%3A%2F%2F192.168.3.1%2Fand a hotspot login came up (which I'm familiar with as the ISP's interface when you connect to it from a MAC address which is not allowed due to their filters).
  5. Even more interesting was when I directed the browser to
    formatting link
    and the Firefox browser (with security for unrequested popups) came up blank but with the message:

Request {GET http://192.168.4.1/login?dst=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Reply to
Brent

Somewhat easier might be to get a backtrack CD image from t'interweb and burn a CD. Boot a PC off it and bobs your uncle. The hardest bit for me was to find out how to switch round between consoles. That took about two hours since all I knew was I needed more windows. The rest was easy.

aLT-f1, f2 ... f6 -- Default linux consoles. 6 of them.

Mind you you don't seem to mind quite hard:)

With either kismet or backtrack the main issue is to make sure that your wireless card is supported for "monitor mode" with available drivers. There are lists.

This will allow you to sniff the conversation off the air as it transits from your LAN to the internet. The packets will contain the MAC addresses of both your bridge and the remote ISP router.

OOPS. I have just realised that I don't know enough about how wireless works and that the strategy might not work.

Someone will likely correct me if required:-)

In any case backtrack or kismet will let you see the beacons which I believe contain the SSID and certainly the MAC.

Reply to
bod43

Try: Start -> Run Firefox -safe-mode There's also a short cut at: Start -> Programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Firefox (safe mode). Make sure you do *NOT* have another copy of Firefox running or this will fail.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's grown to a DVD with 2 GB of programs. That's 500GB of new stuff since the "final" release. The new "Backtrack 4 r1" version just appeared today after Defcon 18. I just downloaded it (it took all day). As before, it's a pain to run as a Live-DVD and works better on a seperate hard disk partition. Do NOT run install.sh unless you plan to install it on your hard disk drive:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I just used v3 since I didn't have any DVDs. Obviously the new one will have more and more-recent drivers. v3 did automagically mount my NTFS partitions (Vista) which allowed me to save files without any messing about despite claiming not to be able to.

If all that is required is the MAC of a single bridge then booting off a CD/DVD is likely to be sufficient:)

E:\backtrack>type step1 modprobe -r iwl3945 # load your driver here modprobe ipwraw iwconfig airmon-ng stop wifi0 ifconfig wifi0 down # mess around in here a bit to set up for my needs airmon-ng start wifi0 airodump-ng wifi0

I think that is enough to see the SSIDs but I forget for now.

You may need to run these in more than one window.

I have the idea that you may need to stop airmon-ng if you want airodump-ng. Again I forget. I had some crashes before I realised that there was a clash somewhere anyway.

Reply to
bod43

500MB ;)

Try a (fast) bootable flash drive instead:

Or Wubi:

Reply to
John Navas

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Brent chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.