How to debug a reluctant WISP AP association (before I blame the WISP)

I've used

formatting link
a half dozen times in the past year and have never failed to find the intended target within a few minutes, at most. I don't know or care how they handle magnetic deviation, I just use the provided map and there's the sat. Easy peasy.

Reply to
Char Jackson
Loading thread data ...

I don't have problems finding the satellite. No augmented reality is necessary to aim the dish. Make sure the pipe is vertical with a bubble level. Set the elevation to the calculated angle. Spin the dish around the estimated azmuth while watching the inline signal strength meter.

The area where augmented reality and similar apps are handy is determining if reception is going to be possible through the trees. If you can see the sky through the camera, it will work. If you're looking at trees, move or get the chain saw.

I was tempted to try the app, but they want $20 each for the iphone and Droid version. No thanks.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oh yeah, GPS and reflections, that I get. I meant FTA. I'm amazed GPS even works as well as it does.

An analog compass would resolve infinitely. Precision is another story. ;-) I suspect if the manufacturer provided the DUT setup, all they are doing is indication how accurately north is marked on the dial.

I can testify my Garmin gps60 compass is a POS. That is why I bring a real compass. Worse of all, the gps60 attempts to use the compass if you are not moving fast enough for a virtual compass (sequential position difference). But the built in compass is such a POS that you are better off at all times with the differential scheme. If you dig deep enough, you can change the switch over portion.

Newer GPSs have a 3D compass. No requirement on how it is held.

Reply to
miso

Hopefully not stating the obvious, but this free program, a location waypoint and a good compass is all you need.

Oh, and a sat meter.

Reply to
miso

miso wrote in news:jh1sgh$66r$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Which is exactly why I build my own antennas rather than buy from some jerkoff outfit on the web that thinks they can dictate ridiculous terms and outrageous return policies, like the ones you keep promoting and you probably have a $$ stake in.

Reply to
datroll

That's for the PC, not the iPhone or Droid. The program calculates the predicted azimuth and elevation, but doesn't answer the basic question of whether the satellite is visible from the customers location. It's a rather nice program. Too bad that it doesn't bother to mention whether the azimuth is true or magnetic. Also, it installed ReleventKnowledge spyware without asking.

Fortunately, it can be separately uninstalled with add-and-remove.

Also, please note that my comments on using a map board has nothing to do with satellite dish pointing. My comments were on dish aiming between a WISP antenna, and wherever the WISP has their central access point. The problem in my area is that from the tree tops, all you can see are more tree tops. Aiming points are few. If I have a visual aiming point, I try to bore-sight the antenna. However, without an aiming point, I have to calculate the direction, pre-align the dish, hope I can get a signal, and then tweak for best signal. That's not easy with a 24dBi dish with a 4-8 degree beamwidth.

Yep. I have several. The $7 cheapo meters are adequate.

Incidentally, another method I use for DBS dish qualification uses the bi-annual solar outage. Finding where on my roof to position the dish is tricky as I'm shooting through a hole in the tree canopy. Since the tree grow, the hole moves.

At the designated date and time, the sun is directly behind the satellite. Where my roof is illuminated, are possible dish locations. In California, the next event will be between Mar 1 and Mar 8, 2012.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Surprise surprise, non of these companies I suggest pay me a cent. They just take my money and ship me stuff that works.

I roll my own antennas when I can't find something better, but it is just stupid to spend time and money on something easily purchased. Oh, and I do my homework and look at the antenna specs so I don't have to return them.

Reply to
miso

Most remote radio goes over ISDN lines these days. But when Dr. Dean Edel had his radio show, it obviously went out over the bird because the signal would be lost.

I forgot to mention "relevant knowledge." The MS antivirus rips it off. The direction is true, not magnetic. I suppose they could do a magnetic adjustment since you give it your coordinates.

Another good resource is satbeams.

They give you the foot print of the bird. Not really all that useful for dish or direct, but handy for FTA.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.