How to connect wireless router to wireless router?

This is kinda complex and I'm in a rush so you get the fast answer.

You can't do that with what you have. Wireless routers and access points are normally made to talk to wireless clients, not other routers or access points. The DLink DI-514 is a very simple wireless router and can only act as a wireless router. Same with your WRT54G using the stock firmware.

However, the WRT54G can use replacement firmware such as Sveasoft Alchemy. This adds additional features including WDS and client mode. If you configure the WRT54G to client mode, it will see and connect to the DI-514 and do roughly what you want. It can also bridge more than one MAC address allowing you to plug in more than one computah into the WRT54G.

I'm too lazy to explain WDS but it's a similar option. The catch is that you will need to replace your DI-514 with another WRT54G to use WDS. See: |

formatting link
(10 pages) |
formatting link
descriptions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have been trying to find information on connecting a wireless router to another wireless router. Seems simple enough but the information I have seen refers to settings that don't exist in the cofiguration pages of the equipment I have.

My question is , how do you connect a wireless router A to another wireless router B so that they both can connect to the LAN and Internet?

I have one computer with a WIRED ETHERNET card. I have a cable connecting the PC to a port on the DLINK 514 Wireless router.

On PC #2 I have a similar setup. The PC is plugged into a port on a LINKSYS WRT54G wireless router. The Linksys has DHCP turned on, and is connected to the Internet via a Linksys Cable modem.

Why can't the DLink see the Linksys router? The DLINK should be acting as a Wireless Access Point shouldn't it? Both Routers have the same SSID and use different channels, but neither can see the other.

Thanks for any help.

Othello

Reply to
Othello

You will probably need to replace the DLINK 514 Wireless router with a wireless router that can also operate as a bridge, or replace it with a wireless bridge. Do a google search for them.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.