How to Configure LinksysWRT54G Wirelss Router

A neighbor of mine has a Dell Dimension 8100 computer with windows XP Pro, ZAPRO, NAV 2006, and BoClean installed. She has just moved to a new house and I was able to set successfully connect the modem and the desktop computer for DSL.

She has a Linksys WRT54G wireless (v5) router that she would like to use. She has a desktop computer and a Dell laptop. My suggestion will be to hardwire the desktop computer to one of the four ports on the Linksys router and then connect the modem to the Linksys on the internet side. My question is as follows: a. If the computer is hardwired (cat 5 cable) to the Router, will I have to setup any security features in the Router before using it to connect to the internet, or just power up the modem, router, and then the desktop computer? I am looking for the security benefit of the router for the desktop. She does not plan to use the desktop in a wireless mode. I am trying to find out as much information on the internet as possible about setting up the router, but still having trouble understanding the procedure setup for a hardwire setup and a wireless setup.

b. Once I get the desktop working okay for about a week, I will then try to setup the wireless feature for the laptop. I am reading and trying to understand some downloaded internet material about the wireless feature of the router. However, my most immediate concern is to get the desktop working with the router for security purposes.

Thanks for any help, Sam.

Reply to
Sam
Loading thread data ...

Yeah that's correct.

You better setup security for the wire/wireless AP router straight off as it doesn't make any difference wire or wireless connection. Someone can join the network on the wireless side and attack any machine wire or wireless on the LAN.

Here are some basic tips.

formatting link
If you want to protect the machine, then go where your supposed to go and that's to the O/S and harden it to attack.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

What Duane said, plus a few notes:

DSL usually requires setting up PPPoE username and password, so it may not be that easy. Cable modem usually is that easy.

One option would be to disable the wireless portion of the router until you are ready to enable the appropriate security. That said it's not really rocket science, just set up your own SSID, turn on WPA with a non-dictionary passphrase, change the admin password, and you are done.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Certainly set up the firewall, if its not already enabled.

Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

To Duane, William, and Mark, many thanks for your replies. The neighbor of mine has found the CD that came with the Linksys and I was able to make a copy of the users guide to study!! So at least now I have some direct information that I can work with. Thanks again and have a good week, Sam.

Reply to
Sam
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

FYI, User Guides are usually available on manufacturer websites for free download.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.