how to cascade two WRT54GC

Hi I want to make a wireless network at home, but because one WRT54GC won't cover the whole area, I want to expand the network coverage using another WRT54GC.

( I know I have 2 other options: a range expander or an access point

-WAP54- but both are a bit more expensive thanWRT54GC whose features are more ).

In other words I want to turn the other router into an Access Point. Anyone knows how to do that, or reasons why I should not use the router to expand the coverage ?

Reply to
interuser
Loading thread data ...

I would set them to have the same SSID and encryption key.

-mike

Reply to
Montana Mike

Try this Linksys document;

formatting link
**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Reply to
Pen

What about external antennas? Did I read that there is an external antenna connector (somewhat hidden) on this device? If not, I'd run a WRT54G instead, should be compatible and definitly allows external antenna upgrades.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

The Linkysys WRT54GC out of the box will not serve your purpose. The "C" stands for compact. Same chipset as the current standard WRT54G ( ver 5 not as preferrred as the previous firmware versions of the WRT54G which can have 3rd party firmware upgrade the power output among other things). The WRT54GC does not come with an external antenna. The WRT54GC is meant as a compact travel router - for a hotel room for example or a local xbox network setup. It is a cute little router but without the external antenna ( optional) it is meant to be only a short range wireless router. It is probably the same power output as a standard router but the range is less. The external Linksys antenna will not be cheap. Get yourself a standard regular router as a start. If you like Linksys products and can find a pre version 5 WRT54G that would be even better. The Wrt54GC router seeing that you are considering purchasing another would just be false economy. As I said it is a very nice little router but out of the box it is not meant for your purpose.

seaweedsteve wrote:

Reply to
frankdowling1

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" hath wroth:

I beg to differ on a few points about the WRT54GC:

Nope. Stands for cheap. I got a case of them for about $20/ea and have used them for mostly home wireless and extra access point applications. No failures and

The WRT54GC uses a Marvell chipset. There's no 3rd party firmware available for the chipset. I'm undecided on the quality of this chipset. I've done no bench testing or comparative coverage testing.

True. However, it does come with an RP-SMA connector on the top of the unit for an external connector. It's really a clever mechanism, where opening the door also raises the RP-SMA connector to extend above the top of the router. This way, antennas with large diameter connectors will fit. For most applications, I've found the internal antenna to be adequate. However, I have added an external antenna when necessary to get additional range.

Nope. As a travel router, it would require that it have an ethernet client bridge mode so that it could be used to connect to an existing hotel access point. That feature is missing. So is the store and forward repeater mode missing. It's a wireless router (or access point) and nothing more.

The generic 2dBi RP-SMA omni antenna can be found on eBay for about $5. They're very common. One of the foot long aftermarket antennas is a problem because it makes the router top heavy. I tried one of those and found that the router would tip over, even with the supplied stand.

Anything that passes FCC type certification, and Wi-Fi certification, is considered "standard".

I prefer the Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 instead. There's not much difference except that the transmitter puts out a few more milliwatts.

It really depends on the application. So far, out of about 10 resold or installed, none have failed to impress the customer with my level of true economy. (Translation: I'm cheap).

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Montana Mike escreveu em 12-01-2007 19:58:

and disable dhcp from the secondary router

Reply to
Sergio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.