How to become a small ISP

How do internet service providers connect to the internet, where do they get their internet from. can i become an ISP by reselling an established internet connection if not then can i purchase the internet to resell it. hope you can help thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
martynodonnell
Loading thread data ...

Mine lives in the cupboard, and I get it out on Thursdays to polish it.

The Internet is a collection of co-operating networks. In principle, if you connect your bit to everyone else's then it becomes part of the Internet.

To do this in practical terms requires you setting up a transit/carrier agreement with one or two of the big providers. Or, as you pointed out in your original post, simply resell an existing ISP's services.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

They buy backhaul connectivity from a larger ISP, and ultimately from the really big telecoms providers like uunet, BT, FT etc.

If you mean a domestic internet connection, no, Your contract with your existing ISP normally forbids that.

Sure - just talk to a wholesale ISP about buying backhaul. Its jolly expensive, mind. Starting figures of several thousand per month for smallish backhaul.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yes it's easy to do ! The prob it's the Bandwith and some Hardware to connect your users

Reply to
midjet

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:05:06 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

Most any business grade service can be used to become a small ISP (T1, DSL, etc.), on the order of hundreds of dollars per month, not thousands.

The big issue is the hassle of being an ISP -- be prepared for endless grief from your users/customers.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.